[Solved] Freecad crashed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rcbuck75

[Solved] Freecad crashed

Post by rcbuck75 »

I was working on a Sketch and FreeCad crashed big time. I had just clicked 2 lines to make them perpendicular to each other. Everything froze and nothing worked. On the screen my mouse pointer had two circular arrows like you see for rotating an object. All I could do was move the sketch around. As I moved the mouse the sketch would rotate to different angles and get larger or smaller. Finally the entire sketch shrank to about an inch in size at the bottom of the screen. I could no longer move anything or do anything. The screen finally darkened to about half brilliance and the mouse and keyboard were frozen. I had to power the computer off since nothing would work.

I have a Win10 machine with 32 Gig of RAM, 3.5 GHz quad core and plenty of disk space. I am running FreeCad 0.19. I have never had Win10 crash in the 3 years that I have been using it.

After the computer restarted I opened FreeCad and was asked if I wanted to recover the file I was working on. I clicked Start Recover and it finished in a couple of seconds. Now I have this strange image on the screen. See attached image. How do I get rid of it?

The file appears to be OK except for the last couple of changes I made and the strange image.
Attachments
Strange Picture.png
Strange Picture.png (30.81 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Last edited by rcbuck75 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Freecad crashed

Post by onekk »

It seems something very weird.

It might be a virus.

From what you have downloaded FC?

Try to use a virus scanner and delete the file and download it from official site.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
rcbuck75

Post by rcbuck75 »

I don't think it is a virus. I have been using FreeCad for a couple of months. I downloaded it from the official site.

Everything else on the computer is working normally.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

rcbuck75 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:17 pm I don't think it is a virus. I have been using FreeCad for a couple of months. I downloaded it from the official site.

Everything else on the computer is working normally.
Please post the information as explained here:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

And maybe try to add the file if possible that caused the crash.

Without these informations is hard to tell, as even an external WB could be the cause.

Plus FreeCAD 0.20 is around from very long time so 0.19 is outdated, and probably you get not much help on an outdated version.

Icon shown seem "very strange" , as it show a weapon that are very uncommon to find in a technical software like FreeCAD.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Google image doesn't give clue.
rcbuck75

Post by rcbuck75 »

I uninstalled FreeCad v0.19 and installed v0.20.2. When I start the program and open the file I was working on, I still see the red circle. But the gun is no longer displayed. The gun does popup occasionally when I move the mouse to the toolbar. However, it only stays visible for about 2 seconds. The red circle is visible at all times. It doesn't matter if I am in Sketcher mode or 3D mode.

The file I am working on is attached. If anyone can figure out how to get rid of the red circle, please let me know the steps to take.

I ran a virus scan on my computer with Norton and I also ran MalwareBytes. Nothing was found by either program.
Attachments
Seven Segment 6 Inch.FCStd
(56.47 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

thankfully I'm a zombi so you didn't kill my heart with your sketch. :o :shock: :lol:
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-01-31 185212.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-01-31 185212.jpg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 849 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rcbuck75 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:31 pm The file I am working on is attached. If anyone can figure out how to get rid of the red circle, please let me know the steps to take.
Do you see it in other files too? Besides I'm with Shalmeneser: redoing this may even increase the absolute quality, as I guess, that you don't really want the different lengths of 64.745 vs. 64.747
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rcbuck75

Post by rcbuck75 »

No, I do not see the red circle in any documents or any of the other programs that I run. Does the install program make any changes to the Windows registry? If it does I guess I could uninstall v0.20.2 and the search the registry for any occurrence of FreeCad and delete the entries.

I was in the process of final cleanup of the dimensions when the problem occurred. FreeCad is not very good at setting line ending connections to a single point. What I means is that if I am adding an angled line to the end of a horizontal or vertical line, the line ends do not always meet even though the dot at the end of the line I want to attach to changes color. I have to zoom out to pick up the fact that the lines are not meeting. That leads to dimension errors such as the 64.745 and 64.747 when I make adjustments to items that meet the other ends of the two lines.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Let's talk the sketch later. Just this: if you have difficulties selecing points, try enlarging the pick radius. For closely positioned points I use almost always box selection.

I have cleared all the brep files. Please load the file and make a complete recompute to get them again. If the problem persists, try to minimize the file. Remove the pocket, its sketch, simplify the sketches, ...

I can imagine that the file contains something unsupported and that makes this sign appear.
Attachments
SevenSegmentMini.FCStd
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.