External vs Internal fillets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kenrinc

External vs Internal fillets

Post by kenrinc »

Just for reference, I normally use the Part Workbench for most of my work. Once I've taken the time to build the part I usually do the finishing touches at the end which includes filleting. External fillets are obviously pretty easy but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on an inside corner. Do I really have to sketch the radius and pad or revolve just to get an inside fillet?

Ken-
quick61
Veteran

Re: External vs Internal fillets

Post by quick61 »

kenrinc wrote:Just for reference, I normally use the Part Workbench for most of my work. Once I've taken the time to build the part I usually do the finishing touches at the end which includes filleting. External fillets are obviously pretty easy but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on an inside corner. Do I really have to sketch the radius and pad or revolve just to get an inside fillet?

Ken-
Hi Ken, are you asking about filleting inside corners like in the first pic? All you need do is pick the edges your wanting to Fillet and go. Or are you asking about reverse fillets as in the second shot. Those you can not do at this time. They have to be done through some sort of Cut operation, like Boolean Cut or Pocket. There was some discussion about that a while back, but more pressing matters set it aside. I don't remember if anyone made a feature request or not? :?
IF1.png
IF1.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
IF2.png
IF2.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Thanks Mark! Yes. I don't know why I thought the fillet didn't work here. I see now that it does work based on where the joint is (inside or outside). I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. And yes my next question was how to do reverse fillets :mrgreen:

Ken-
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Inner edges are notoriously harder to select than external edges. It helps to zoom the view.
quick61 wrote:There was some discussion about that a while back, but more pressing matters set it aside. I don't remember if anyone made a feature request or not? :?
I remember this discussion and I'm at a loss to retrieve it... I remember posting an image of different types of bevels.

Norm
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

I remember this discussion and I'm at a loss to retrieve it... I remember posting an image of different types of bevels.
Yes, that's the one. Just having a simple reverse fillet tool in Part / Part Design would be nice. I'll go ahead and make a feature request on this. A lot could be done with just a simple reverse fillet. (I"m sure that there is a name for it, I don't think bevel or ogee quite fit). I was reading that Solidworks does not have that yet, which might be even more of a reason to add it. ;)
Bevel_and_Fillet.png
Bevel_and_Fillet.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 15652 times
Mark

Edit - Feature request issue #1742
Last edited by quick61 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

normandc wrote:Inner edges are notoriously harder to select than external edges.
I don't know if it's the correct way to fix that, but there is issue #1336
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I thought the proper term would be "cove" but I think reverse fillet makes more sense. I think technically a fillet on an outside edge would probably be called a round over. Just from a quick scan of other packages, they can't do coves or reverse fillets either :mrgreen: Solidworks does have multiple radius and variable radius fillet capabilities in addition to they typical constant radius fillet.

Ken-
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

kenrinc wrote:Solidworks does have multiple radius and variable radius fillet capabilities in addition to they typical constant radius fillet.

Ken-
Well, we don't have multiple radius, but we do have variable. Look in the Part Workbench > Fillet tool dialog. There is a pull down where you can select between Constant Radius and Variable Radius. It works well. The Part Workbench > Chamfer tool has basically the same thing, except it's length, not radius.

Mark
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

quick61 wrote:Or are you asking about reverse fillets as in the second shot. Those you can not do at this time. They have to be done through some sort of Cut operation, like Boolean Cut or Pocket. There was some discussion about that a while back, but more pressing matters set it aside. I don't remember if anyone made a feature request or not?
I vaguely remember some discussion, and I thought (but am not sure) I saw a ticket where entering a negative value for a fillet on an outside edge would make a cove instead of the normal fillet (like a round over bit would create).
normandc wrote:Inner edges are notoriously harder to select than external edges. It helps to zoom the view.
Until issue 1336 might be implemented, you can make the edge lines wider so they're easier to select by Edit > Preferences > Display (icon in left pane) > Part Colors tab > Default line width.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

bejant wrote:I vaguely remember some discussion, and I thought (but am not sure) I saw a ticket where entering a negative value for a fillet on an outside edge would make a cove instead of the normal fillet (like a round over bit would create).
There may very well be a ticket, but I couldn't suss it out with the searches I did. If it's a duplicate, it'll probably get caught. At any rate, at least there is something fresh there now if someone wants to pick it up. Maybe one of the newer programmers that have thrown in with the FreeCAD project might want to take it on. (hint, hint - nudge, nudge :P )

Mark