How to create a coordinate system or frame of axis?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
westerj

Re: How to create a coordinate system or frame of axis?

Post by westerj »

It seems very possible to do this by the creation of a 3D face, and then sketching on that. That is essentially the same as constructing a local coordinate system. Can it be automated with 3 points? First point in 3d Space is the origin. Second point defines the X Axis. THen the third point is used to nail the vector to the Y Axis. that third point wouldn't have to be -on- the Y axis, but it could fully constrain the new X' Y' coordinate system. then you can sketch on.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi welcome westerj
yes it's easy just to code
and must also follow the axis of coordinates tilt yaw pitch roll and all the built forms follow these positions
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
westerj

Post by westerj »

Ok... so i am getting that a freecad file is a hybrid of (boolean, surfaces, cuts etc) + code. A coordinate system be a useful primitive though.

Where to RTFM?

Create Sketch ->
-> Select plane:
XY
YZ
XZ
User specified (6 Degrees of freedom)
Select Face

Ok. So I am lazy. Avoiding construction of face to sketch on...

Say I am modeling a keylock/cylinder in FreeCAD. Would i have one FreeCAD file or would i create each as separate Part and then go into the assembly workbench?

THanks! JW (FreeCAD newbie, CADDS4x/CADDS5/ProeV9-18 a few years back)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

westerj wrote:Say I am modeling a keylock/cylinder in FreeCAD. Would i have one FreeCAD file or would i create each as separate Part and then go into the assembly workbench?
For now it's only a matter of preference. Some prefer to work with separate files, then export them as STEP and import those STEP parts into a new file to make an assembly.

There is no functional assembly workbench at the moment. There may be an Assembly entry in the workbench switcher, but it doesn't work.

At some point in the future, arbitrary plane creation will be possible, the assembly workbench will be functional, but we are not there yet.
Where to RTFM?
Help menu --> Users documentation

But I prefer the wiki's Main Page as a starting point.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Maybe this can be useful
to create helper structures

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6452&p=52070#p52010
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:At some point in the future, arbitrary plane creation will be possible, the assembly workbench will be functional, but we are not there yet.
As Norm said, they are coming one day, they are already there in the Assembly working branch version of FreeCAD...here is an edited screen shot...
assemblyfreecaddtaums.jpeg
assemblyfreecaddtaums.jpeg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4565 (Git)
Branch: assembly_jmaustpc_working
Hash: d76cd15deb64414354ccfd11faec588c80debf15
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
westerj

Post by westerj »

Thanks All. I see there is much vitality with FreeCAD, which is fantastic! What happens when an IGES file with record type 124 is imported? This seems to be the coordinate system / transformation matrix. Is this supported? http://www.3dmodelzone.com/iges-section-p.html. It can take some time to understand how to relate things together in any system. Thanks again! JW
el hombre

Post by el hombre »

Coordinate systems are nothing new in mathematics. Without them it is hard to imagine operations in different spaces. There is an old parametric cad Varkon ( http://varkon.sourceforge.net/ ), a well developed concept. It has not been developed since 2005 but it has lots of good working ideas. Someone with good imagination could “type” geometry” without using graphical interface. Mathematical part of this cad is based on this book Faux I.D., Pratt M.J. Computational Geometry for Design and Manufacture
http://www.twirpx.com/file/1199095/