Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kamichal

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by kamichal »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 pm We'd have to improve the functionality of the Addon Manager to work with gitlab. Or perhaps there could be a mirror of said gitlab repo on GitHub that would then interact with the Add-on Manager.
In my opinion it's not a big deal to use a GitHub. GitLab just seems nicer, ...and is open source, ... and free, ... and is not bought by some tech gigant recently, ... and has no travis as a CI tool. You know all the reasons.
However - it's not a problem to use two or more remote repositories. It's a fundamental feature of git. More info: https://gist.github.com/rvl/c3f156e117e22a25f242
Mirroring to github can be done automatically as a one of gitlab's CI's pipeline stages. So that the whole project's life can be held on gitlab.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 pm We'd have to improve the functionality of the Addon Manager to work with gitlab. Or perhaps there could be a mirror of said gitlab repo on GitHub that would then interact with the Add-on Manager.
There is basically nothing to be done. With Git you can add a submodule hosted anywhere, it doesn't need to be hosted on the same server... So there is no problem in adding an addon hosted on gitlab to our addons repo.

*EDIT* Looking at the code now, indeed there would be something to change... But that's small. As soon as we have a gitlab-hosted addon, I'll do that
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks @yorik.

Back to the original topic. I found a macro called Macro Cabinets32 on the wiki. Has anyone tested it here?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
iogui

Post by iogui »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 am Back to the original topic. I found a macro called Macro Cabinets32 on the wiki. Has anyone tested it here?
No but it seems so restrictive that I see no real value on trying to use it for a more general case.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

Here is a thread about a box making script that could be generalized to help model cabinetry joints.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31795
Arge

Post by Arge »

Hi guys. My first post. I'm Marcelo from Brazil (São Paulo). Software engineer and hobbyst furniture maker (MDF, "box maker", to be precise). This discution is awesome and promising. When Iogui refers brazilian Promob software (http://promob.com/download/manual-trein ... promob.pdf in Portuguese, but interesting anyway), I realize that FreeCAD can play a very smooth job serving as platform (or framework) to this task. Simply speaking, I think the main goal for "MDF box makers" like me is not to "CAD draw" every bit of a furniture by hand. I suppose the main goal is to traverse from furniture conception to building itself. There is a open source cutting planner called Cut Micro. Maybe we can use it as a start for this specific task.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This one? https://sourceforge.net/projects/ctmc/
What does it do exactly? Arrange the panels on a sheet?
Arge

Post by Arge »

Excuse my delayed reply. Yes, this one. I downloaded it, but to be honest, cut planner algorithm is outdated. There are newer, best algorithms for this.
Arge

Post by Arge »

My thoughts. Thinking more theoretically about a furniture workbench, I consider this would be a domain driven application, not a general purpose one. This implies a formally well defined specification including a domain driven ontology (a "furniture schema" or a "furniture definition language".) By the way, the furniture concept itself is very large. Bed and desk are both furniture, but differs a lot each other. This lead me to a practical view: constrict the "domain scope" to any furniture that can be built from fiberboard, box shaped. Have anyone here thinking the same way? Can we start defining an embrionary "furniture schema". Are there anything already built in this direction? BuildingSmart and IFC have developed a "furniture schema", but not to model furniture object itself, but for BIM purposes.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You have a point there, designing a bed and designing a cabinet have almost nothing in common... Maybe we should be talking about a cabinet design workbench? That basically the meat of what we've been discussion here...