Failed to validate broken face

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb

Re: Failed to validate broken face

Postby chrisb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 am

Arne1279 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 am
To me it seem strange that there isn't a feature / option in Sketcher that when you close the Sketch that tells you that there are one or more not connected point or broken faces.
That sounds sensible if it can be configured. I don't know how time intensive it is to validate the sketch.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Arne1279 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 am
1. When closing the sketch “you got the messages”
This is not a good idea to make these checks right after closing the sketch, because FreeCAD cannot divine what you are going to do with it next.

Some tools accept crossing geometry (Arch Wall for example), and some don't (PartDesign). So these checks should be added to the 3D tool rather than to the sketch. Actually the check is already there: that's what the "failed to validate broken face" error is about. So it would just need to be reworded and expanded.
keleumas

Postby keleumas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm

1.FCStd
Here's my file
(7.47 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Hello, I also have problem with validating broken face when i try to pad my sketch.
I work on Windows 64-bit, and my FreeCAD version is up to date.
I'm pretty sure my sketch is "Closed" and fully constrained
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:18 pm

keleumas wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm
I work on Windows 64-bit, and my FreeCAD version is up to date.
Please follow the IMORTANT link above and find out how to attach your FreeCAD info. "Up to date" is a very unsharp notion and completely unusable for future reference.
I'm pretty sure my sketch is "Closed" and fully constrained
It is not closed. Use validate Sketch with a value of 0.1mm.
Your Sketch is overconstrained. Symmetry implies several of the other constraints. Please use the really up to date 0.18 version for far better solver messages. I attach a corrected version.
Attachments
1_cb.FCStd
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
keleumas

Postby keleumas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Well, thanks :D
I'm newb to FreeCAD and i didnt even know about "Validate Sketch" so i just look really close on sketch (my bad) and look for gaps, and by "up to date" I mean latest official, stable release 0.17 (also my bad i should pointed it out) so i didnt work on non officialy released FreeCAD 0.18
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 pm

keleumas wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm
Well, thanks :D
I'm newb to FreeCAD and i didnt even know about "Validate Sketch" so i just look really close on sketch (my bad) and look for gaps, and by "up to date" I mean latest official, stable release 0.17 (also my bad i should pointed it out) so i didnt work on non officialy released FreeCAD 0.18
Here it is of no further importance, but for further questions you should really add your FreeCAD info. See it from our side: We would like to believe you but we have seen here so many people claiming to have some latest release and finally it turned out to be not. Without knowing from where and when it was downloaded, we are unsure and that costs time. We have to ask back and often we have to try different versions.
On the other side it is so easy to add the FreeCAD generated info.

0.18 is very stable. There have been really many bug fixes.
JulianTodd

Postby JulianTodd » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm

It would be useful if the frustrating "Failed to validate broken face" error message, also included the words: "Try using the 'Validate sketch' command".

It's also counter-intuitive that the "Validate sketch" command is greyed out when you have a sketch open. It's only available when you have the sketch closed, but selected.

Maybe the command could be available even when the sketch is open, but it should throw up an error dialog to say: "Please close the sketch editing mode to use this feature". The greyed-out command is pretty frustrating.

I've had a lot of frustration trying to find these facts out, and there is plenty of room to inform people in those error messages about what they should try next.

In principle hints like these are very important and easy to implement, because they can mean the difference between someone getting somewhere, or giving up in frustration very early on.

Never give an error without offering some idea of what to try next.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 am

Have a look at that topic where I tried to have error messages made clearer for end users. I mentioned the "failed to validate broken face" error. It is not only a matter of changing the wording, as this message does not come from PartDesign, but from Part.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32568
an iron golem

Postby an iron golem » Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am

I want to revolve a sketch around, but it says "failed to validate broken face''

please help because i need this done until wednesday
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 am

an iron golem wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am
I want to revolve a sketch around, but it says "failed to validate broken face''

please help because i need this done until wednesday
if you're in a hurry, give us the information to maker fixing your file possible. Read the Forum Rules link about this forum and post your version data in the manner it explains.

That error message means that FreeCAD can not create a face from your sketch, you will have some geometry sitting on or overlapping another or the geometry may not be describing a closed wire (set of lines).

Your file is almost certainly a very quick fix, either attach your file or create a new one and copy your sketch only, into it and post that.

Jim