Exploded assembly animation

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Markymark

Re: Exploded assembly animation

Post by Markymark »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 am I tend to split this topic or move it completely to Help forum. What do you think?
Yes, please. I didn't get that this was in "User Showcase". I tried to pick the most appropriate general thread.

VG m.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
alexu

Post by alexu »

Markymark wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:42 am Here: Modify Individual Object Trajectory

I was not able to figure out how this works ... or if this is just broken. I tired several (every) possible way to select object, edge, trajectory ... Find enclosed a very simple example. Trying to modify the trajectory I get the following message:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'ModifyIndividualObjectTrajectory' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\ExplodedAssembly\EAInit.py", line 140, in Activated
    ea.modifyIndividualObjectTrajectory()
  File "C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\ExplodedAssembly\ExplodedAssembly.py", line 588, in modifyIndividualObjectTrajectory
    for i in range(len(sel_traj.names)):

'Part.Feature' object has no attribute 'names'
Any hints?

Thanks in advance! Mark
It works, but as you discovered the UI is a bit fragile at times.

Your example file moves Cube001 to the left. There are two ways to modify the trajectory:
1)
<LEFT-CLICK> SimpleGroup
<CTRL-LEFT-CLICK> a face on Cube001 to specify the new direction Normal. I pick the front face.
Select "Modify Individual Object Trajectory". In my case the cube now moves forward.

2)
<LEFT-CLICK> SimpleGroup
<CTRL-LEFT-CLICK> Cube001
<CTRL-LEFT-CLICK> a face to specify the new direction Normal. I pick the top face of Cube.
Select "Modify Individual Object Trajectory". In my case the cube now moves up. This form can be useful when the object (Cube001 in this case) doesn't have a convenient Normal to set the desired direction.
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

Hi alexu,

thanks for yor reply. OK, at least something happens now ... but I am not sure what to expect?!?

This is what I get:
shot2.png
shot2.png (47.16 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

Now the trajectory is in one direction but Cube001 in the other direction (after run animation)! I am also a little confused by the two different descriptions of the tooltip and the menu. "Modify Individual Object Trajectory" via "Explode objects on several directions". I thought I would get something like a diagonal trajectory / movement? This leaves me a little confused ...

Rgrds, m.
alexu

Post by alexu »

Markymark wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:37 pm Now the trajectory is in one direction but Cube001 in the other direction (after run animation)!
The trajectory lines don't get updated. I find that once you get multiple objects going in multiple directions they just turn to clutter anyway, so I set them invisible.
I am also a little confused by the two different descriptions of the tooltip and the menu. "Modify Individual Object Trajectory" via "Explode objects on several directions".
I guess the developer hadn't finalized the description. Often the tool tip is the closest thing to documentation for a function.
I thought I would get something like a diagonal trajectory / movement?
No, it just replaces the direction Vector for the object. For instance, if you add Cube002 to the right of Cube you could initially have them in the same SimpleGroup moving in the same direction. Then go back and modify the direction of one of the objects. Now the two objects move in two directions in one step.
This leaves me a little confused ...
It's a promising but incomplete workbench. With that said, people have used it to produce videos of exploding assemblies.
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

OK, thanks for the additional explanation! Got it!

This WB is big fun anyway. Hopefully it will get a little bit of polishing in the future.

Greetrings,

Mark
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Hello,
I would like to move two objects simultaneously in different directions. Markymark I think had the same question, but my English is not good enough to understand if there was a solution or not. The question should be separated from this thead, but I did not find further.
It is about this icon:

Here are 3 cubes. The one in the middle stays still, the left cube should move 10mm to the left, the right cube at the same time 10mm to the right.
How exactly do you achieve this?
Who can explain this to me exactly, please?
Unfortunately, I can't do it.
exploded_assembly_stop_motiom_two_movements_at_same_time.gif
exploded_assembly_stop_motiom_two_movements_at_same_time.gif (126.77 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Unfortunately, there is no real way to animate a camshaft with a tappet in Freecad.
I found out that you can rotate the camshaft step by step by setting the revolutions to 0.1 for example. You can move the tappet up to the new position of the camshaft, similar to an animated movie, stop motion. This will not be one hundred percent accurate, but it would be enough for the eye. But again, it would be good if the tappet moved downward, simultaneously with the rotation of the camshaft.
How does that work?
Who figured it out and can explain it to me step by step or in a video please?
exploded_assembly_stop_motiom_cam_follower.gif
exploded_assembly_stop_motiom_cam_follower.gif (252.47 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Thanks for your help

Best regards
Wilfried

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Ping

Who can help?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't think that Exploded Assembly Animation can do that. You should create the model in a way so that the animation depends only on a single value, probably the rotation angle of the lower part. Then you animate it with a timer.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm I don't think that Exploded Assembly Animation can do that. You should create the model in a way so that the animation depends only on a single value, probably the rotation angle of the lower part. Then you animate it with a timer.
But for what stand this function with icon?