Drawing Dimensioning

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
zoidberg

Drawing Dimensioning

Postby zoidberg » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 pm

in this Video there is a drawing dimensioning workbench?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCxKOV-8FY

I downloaded the latest 0.15 build for windows. It isn't there? Can I activate it without compiling? Will it be in the final 0.15?
quick61

Re: Drawing Dimensioning

Postby quick61 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:44 pm

That Workbench is a plugin. You can find it here - https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning

Directions on how to install it are in the README.md file that is shown at the bottom of the page in the link above. The Workbench works quite well. :)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
shoogen

Postby shoogen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:46 pm

zoidberg wrote:It isn't there? Can I activate it without compiling? Will it be in the final 0.15?
No. Yes. No.
No, it isn't included. Yes, you can. It's sufficent to copy the files available at https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning. No, it won't be included in the 0.15 release.
dammerel

Postby dammerel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Out of interest, what is the criteria to include in 0.15
Eg assembly,dimension modules
quick61

Postby quick61 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:44 pm

dammerel wrote:Out of interest, what is the criteria to include in 0.15
Still a work in progress - Release notes 015

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
dammerel

Postby dammerel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks Mark
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:53 am

dammerel wrote:Out of interest, what is the criteria to include in 0.15

To be clear the key point about these two "plug ins" which the other did not make clear, :)
is that they are third party plug ins.

There is nothing wrong with them being third party, FreeCAD is designed to allow, actually encourage, this sort of thing.

In a very general sense the difference between these third Party plug ins and "official" modules and the like are typically some of the following
  • the plug in may have an incompatible licence or be used to work with some other code that has an incompatible licence
  • the purpose of the plug in may be of transient use, e.g. as a work around due to a missing feature like the currently missing Assembly workbench
  • 3rd party plug ins do not necessarily have the same quality or minimum feature requirements e.g. they may perhaps not have translations or Units support
  • FreeCAD Official code has to consider backwards compatibilty
  • they may work in a way that does not fit with the long term plans and direction of official FreeCAD
  • they possibly will create FreeCAD files, or at least work flows, that will have compatibility issues with "official" FreeCAD
  • etc.

Usually if someone wants their work to end up in FreeCAD master, they would first discuss the matter to see if their work has any chance of being eventually pushed into master. For example, someone else may have already been working in the same area.

By the way, the Ship WB was originally a 3rd party WB, but became later a part of FreeCAD.
Sergey_r

Postby Sergey_r » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:38 pm

Can I make dimensions automatically for each of the detais in project? I would like to make project and automatically print each of the detais.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:53 pm

The Drawing Dimensioning module does not support automatic dimensioning.

At work I use a commercial parametric CAD software which offers automatic dimensioning by extracting the dimensions from the sketches used to build the part. But I quickly found that the resulting dimensions are never the ones that would logically be shown in a technical drawing intended for manufacturing. Modeling a part in CAD and building it in real life have totally different rules.

So I never use auto dimensioning, and in a few years working with parametric CAD, I've never known anyone else who did.

Now automating certain repetitive tasks is another thing, and this would be accomplished in FreeCAD using python scripting.
mario52

Postby mario52 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:21 pm

hi
here on example dimensioning automatic with 24 objects (include points and axis)
CotationAuto00.png
CotationAuto00.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Dialog creation. My macros on Gist.github.