FreeCAD document icon

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: FreeCAD document icon

Post by wmayer »

The FCStd1,2,... are backup files just in case if re-saving a project fails and damages the zip. Then you can delete the broken FCStd and rename FCStd1 to FCStd to at least have the last version of it. If don't want it you can switch this off in the preferences in the Document tab.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote:I don't know if this is still true for Gnome3 but in Gnome2 you have the directory $HOME/.thumbnails with two sub-directories. inside there you have PNG files with a GUID as file name. I think when deleting all the files there you should see the correct thumbnail for exiting fcstd files.
Hey thanks, I just tried this and it solved my problem. :)

There are actually 3 folders: fail, large and normal. In fail, there was a folder named gnome-thumbnail-factory whith a few hundreds bad PNGs. I deleted them, went back to my folder containing FreeCAD files, and the thumbnails show up again. It seems this folder says to Nautilus not to attempt to rebuild thumbnails for files it failed before.

It looks like this is an old GNOME bug. https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/305850

Next I'll have to delete the .thumbnailer files I created, to check if they actually are useful.
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

Normand, can you post screenshot how do your documents look in Ubuntu?

Regards
Petar
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi.

Few days back i read the content of this topic and based on instructions (by normandc) in this topic i was able to make "thumbnail icons" working. There is one problem and i i thought i will ask the question in this topic!

I tried this on different PC's with different (graphic) hardware (Nvidia binary, Nouveau, Intel driver...) and i noticed only with Nvidia binary driver the thumbnail inside the file (fcstd / zip) gets created. Is this connected with OpenGL version or lack of some functionalities in open source drivers? Thanks!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I tried this on different PC's with different (graphic) hardware (Nvidia binary, Nouveau, Intel driver...) and i noticed only with Nvidia binary driver the thumbnail inside the file (fcstd / zip) gets created. Is this connected with OpenGL version or lack of some functionalities in open source drivers? Thanks!
To create a thumbnail we use the off-screen rendering provided by the Coin3D API. There were several complaints that it fails on many systems but this is really due to lack of functionality of the driver. You'll find more information on the Coin3D ML.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

pperisin wrote:Normand, can you post screenshot how do your documents look in Ubuntu?

Regards
Petar
Hi Petar,

I'm really sorry I completely forgot to answer you. :oops:

Here's a screenshot showing some of my FreeCAD files in my Drawings folder. Some show a thumbnail, and some show the FreeCAD document icon because the thumbnail option was not ticked in the FreeCAD Preferences.

Oh yeah, there's Jim's rat home at the top.

P.S. I just noticed that the image hosting service I use has annoying ads. :roll: Since I usually use AdBlock+ I never see ads.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:P.S. I just noticed that the image hosting service I use has annoying ads. :roll: Since I usually use AdBlock+ I never see ads.

they also have a link to change the language to English, that doesn't work. I had been thinking of using them. :(

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I used ImageShack for years (still have an account), but abandoned them 2 years ago because their reliability took a hit. Maybe you could try them to see if they've solved their bandwidth problems. But there are so many, do a search for "free image hosting" and you'll find lots of links.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

To create a thumbnail we use the off-screen rendering provided by the Coin3D API. There were several complaints that it fails on many systems but this is really due to lack of functionality of the driver. You'll find more information on the Coin3D ML.
Yes this is it! Based on your information it was easy to find this:

http://mailman.coin3d.org/pipermail/coi ... 18219.html

Pbuffers support probably will not be implemented in drivers and Coin3D if i understand correctly will use different method in the future! This helped and now thumbnail gets created!
Try setting the following environment variables to 1 before running your
program.
COIN_GLXGLUE_NO_PBUFFERS
COIN_GLXGLUE_NO_GLX13_PBUFFERS
Thanks!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Good point! Maybe we should write this information to the console if the off-screen rendering failed.