Today I came across this forum and was wondering, if there is anyone interested to do a project using FreeCAD to design a low cost (Open Source, meaning I cannot afford to pay now but later and not requiring to keep design to myself also of course) mosquito trap for later injection molding for mass production.
Allow me to explain how this mosquito trap works:
1. Mosquitoes are attracted by smell and black/white contrast;
2. A running computer fan (12VDC, 120x120x25mm) sucks in mosquitoes which come too close to the funnel opening;
3. The lid on top of the funnel opens when fan is running;
4. The same fan blows against a pheromone / lure / attractant and thus distributes it to attract mosquitoes;
5. Once the mosquitoes have been caught, they cannot escape because of a nylon fabric fastened on top of the bowl.
The diameter on top of the plastic bowl (looks like a salad bowl and can be (semi) transparent) about 29cm. The height of the bowl is about 14-15cm only. The diameter of the funnel is also about 12cm. It is about 8cm high and rests on top of the trap. The bottom of the funnel needs to have some sort of adaptation to accept the square computer fan (round fans are more expensive).
I have an initial image attached.
- MegaTrap bowl.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 1036 times