Wanted freecad expert to finish bracket part

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Wanted freecad expert to finish bracket part

Post by Shalmeneser »

If you 3D print this, it should be better to do 4 parts (with fixing system for each) : plate, big support, small supports.
JagsSingh

Post by JagsSingh »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:52 pm If you 3D print this, it should be better to do 4 parts (with fixing system for each) : plate, big support, small supports.
Maybe, but I always envisaged it as one piece and didn't think it would be so complicated to make.
This now is beyond my current experience.

If the community can help this simple idea become reality, I will be most appreciative, and of course donate.
Here is the file. Please remember, I have only been playing with FreeCad, and any 3D modeling for that matter, for a few weeks and only watched a handful of videos to learn some methods.
Please be gentle with me! :oops:
The model tree contains some non visible/hidden bodies that I practiced and prepped for trying to make a Boolean cut from the bracket but have been unsuccessful.

Please forgive the crude and quick drawings. Its embarrassing :oops: , but its all I started with.
Sphere 02.FCStd
(168.41 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
IMG_8522.png
IMG_8522.png (158.59 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
IMG_8519.png
IMG_8519.png (177.64 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
IMG_8521_LI (4).jpg
IMG_8521_LI (4).jpg (315.61 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Other idea (no true dimensions).

What type of 3D printing ?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (66.68 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
BubbleLego_SHALM3.FCStd
(459.92 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by Shalmeneser on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:00 pm ...
Moved to Help forum (to increase visibility) ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:41 am Moved to Help forum (to increase visibility) ?
Done. If JagsSingh wants to, I move it back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JagsSingh

Post by JagsSingh »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 am Other idea (no true dimensions).

What type of 3D printing ?
I make resin prints as I don't own an FDM yet.

Anice idea. I am not sure where I would glue to be minimal on that design, but I suppose that it could move freely within the sphere. With this type of design I would need to make it all with transparent resin and it would be bigger in the bauble.

Happy for thread to move if that works better.
JagsSingh

Post by JagsSingh »

Hi everyone.

I'm still getting nowhere quickly with this design, and it is probably a brick wall that I am finding one of the most frustrating creative barriers I have ever had in my life. :(

I not heard back from many people.
So if an expert could clarify something for me - is my concept design actually a difficult part to 3d model? :?:

I am not sure if this post moved got in the end, to get more eyes on it, but is there anyone that can create the part in the original post for a decent fee and a contribution to the project?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Maybe the approach is not so correct.

FreeCAD is complex program and seeing some video surely don't teach so much.

This is due to some facts:

There are many FreeCAD versions, and some video use old versions, and/or are posted mainly to "generate traffic" to be paid for by Youtube.

Not every video is even readable as it depends also on localization, as some menu items are difficult to follow across translations.

Some designs that seems, easy are not very easy at all, as I'm coding very often I will see that a simple "match an angle" or "find a radius" is not easy to get if you maybe start from a Mesh, as Mesh didn't have angles, only facets, and you have to build a "similar thing" using FreeCAD engine to have some real data like radius, curvature and so on.

Some things are better to be digested gradually, like "the ant that wanted to eat an elephant", the only way to success is to "eat it with little bite and many many time".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

JagsSingh wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:13 am Hi everyone.

I'm still getting nowhere quickly with this design, and it is probably a brick wall that I am finding one of the most frustrating creative barriers I have ever had in my life. :(

EDITED UPDATE:
Playing with your file further it is the Group Object "Lego Plate Bracket" that is causing the problems.
Delete the group but keep the contents and use Union and Cut to operate directly on those and all works fine.

Is this the sort of thing you need?
bauble_mount.png
bauble_mount.png (67.71 KiB) Viewed 5298 times

I am not an expert, so do not have explanation as to why there is some kind of link involved in the sweep component that causes a basic cut operation to fail.

If you make a copy of the Sweep Arm ( simple copy / paste )
Remove all the values in the Placement -> Angle -> Axis parameters in the Data panel ( all to zero ) for this copy
The copy will be to the right and -5mm on Z-Axis.
In the Data panel set angle to 180deg. to flip the copy to same relative position as desired part.
Offset copy on Z-axis to the desired final position.
Edit the radius of "Sphere" inside the original "Cut" so that is is bigger than the outer part of the mount so it will remove mount excess in subsequent cut.
Perform a "Cut" on the Sphere Arm001 and original Cut (spheres).
The result then needs to be selected and made solid, Part -> Convert to Solid

file attached
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26498 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1895593)
Hash: 18955931c7f0926a4cd9d2719be5a433b49ae56e
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3

This is from a different .fcstd file generated after removing the Group Object.

Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
bauble_Slic3r.png
bauble_Slic3r.png (651.67 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Attachments
mod_Sphere 02.FCStd
(219.66 KiB) Downloaded 85 times