Need assistance designing a tool

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
torvictech

Need assistance designing a tool

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:08 pm

Hello, I require the design in FreeCAD of the attached tool. If you are interested, please reply to me with a proposed price and timeline. Thanks, Vic.
Attachments
InkedMG Part Drawing.GIF
InkedMG Part Drawing.GIF (723.22 KiB) Viewed 698 times
openBrain

Re: Need assistance designing a tool

Postby openBrain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi Vic. Is that what you were talking about here :
torvictech wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:10 pm
Ok, just posted. Please have a look and let me know. Should be pretty simple.
Anyway yes, I confirm I'd be ready to model it against donation to FreeCAD. Depends on what is your acceptable delay. Maybe others will join too. ;)
In between, could you give some details about what looks like a grid on the top face?
torvictech

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 pm

It's a perforated square surface. The depth of the holes is 1mm, leaving 2mm of solid layer below - given that the depth of the item is 3mm.
Thx, Vic.
torvictech

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:10 pm

...also, the entire item has a slight bend/shape to it as per the "red" line on the image from top to bottom, as oriented via the logo on the front of it.
Thx, Vic.
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 pm

OK. There's a lot of missing things. ;)
  • Regarding the hole, what is the distance from the rear face ? What is its height ?
  • Regarding the square pocket around the logo, what is its size (width/height) ? Position (X/Y) ?
  • Regarding the 'waffle' grid, what is the spacing ? What is the ratio between material & void ?
  • Regarding the logo, do you imagine something precise ? Do you have a SVG file ? A preferred font ?
  • Regarding this red line, this is still a bit unclear. Could you give some clues ?
tool.png
tool.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 681 times
torvictech

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Please see all answers below:

Regarding the hole, what is the distance from the rear face ? What is its height ?
Answer: Distance from the top is 5mm; the height is 5mm;

Regarding the square pocket around the logo, what is its size (width/height) ? Position (X/Y) ?
Answer: Either 10mm x 10mm or 15mm by 15mm; Position is center to the overall design;

Regarding the 'waffle' grid, what is the spacing ? What is the ratio between material & void ?
Answer: The material should be 1mm and the spacing can be what best suits the design, as long as it is obvious that there is a 'waffle' grid;

Regarding the logo, do you imagine something precise ? Do you have a SVG file ? A preferred font ?
Answer: No SVG, for the initial draft what you have will suffice;

Regarding this red line, this is still a bit unclear. Could you give some clues ?
Answer: Yes, it is the shape of the item when looking at it from the right side; my drawing is looking at it from FRONT;

Hope this helps. Thanks so much for the fast update.
Vic
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm

torvictech wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm
Regarding the square pocket around the logo, what is its size (width/height) ? Position (X/Y) ?
Answer: Either 10mm x 10mm or 15mm by 15mm; Position is center to the overall design;
Now I'm not sure I well understood your sketch. Is the center square a pocket with embossed logo ? Or solid material with engraved logo ?
Regarding this red line, this is still a bit unclear. Could you give some clues ?
Answer: Yes, it is the shape of the item when looking at it from the right side; my drawing is looking at it from FRONT;
Can this shape be considered an arc of circle ? In any case, what is the height of the tool on the extremities (3 mm ?) and the one on the center ?
torvictech

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Now I'm not sure I well understood your sketch. Is the center square a pocket with embossed logo ? Or solid material with engraved logo ?
Answer: It's the reverse of what you have, essentially a solid part within the waffle grid, with the logo engraved in the solid part.
Can this shape be considered an arc of circle ? In any case, what is the height of the tool on the extremities (3 mm ?) and the one on the center ?
Answer: Yes, it can be considered an arc or a circle (irregular); Yes, the height is 3mm throughout the entire tool.

Thx, Vic.
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Think we come closer to what you want. :)
tool2.png
tool2.png (24.28 KiB) Viewed 640 times
I also attach the file if you want to inspect it carefully (it can take some time to compute because of the waffle grid). ;)
Time to sleep here at European timezone. ;) Will get your remarks on tomorrow. :) Maybe another forumer will be interested in during by bed time.
Ouch, file to big, it's here => https://framadrop.org/r/hdDZoewjI1#UjCF ... i+ghvUg5k=
torvictech

Postby torvictech » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Nice, yes we are definitely getting there. With the 'arch' I was hoping that the entire shape can be arched, just like I have noted in the new attachment. In essence, the back of the tool is not flat, but has an arch as the front. Also can all the sides of the tool have 'filleted' edges with an angle that makes it look nice - perhaps if the tool had a solid border throughout then all edges would look good. Speak tomorrow.
Vic
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 626 times