Parametric G code generator for CNC router- Doors and Cabinets

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Inventthis

Parametric G code generator for CNC router- Doors and Cabinets

Post by Inventthis »

Please I need help in designing a custom module for generating G code for wooden doors on a CNC router.
I would like to select images of doors and have the custom module generate G code just by entering the width (X) and the height (Y) of the door.
I want to be able to manufacture different door sizes without the need to redesign the model.
In fact I need a parametric G code generator that will have a library of different door design G code where X and Y parameters will change the G Code to account for a new door' size.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Inventthis

Re: Parametric G code generator for CNC router- Doors and Cabinets

Post by Inventthis »

I am a thinker and maker and I am building a homemade CNC router mostly to make wooden doors and cabinet.

I have a library of simple 2D doors design that I made in Artcam but each time I have to change the size of the doors, I need to scale it in Artcam and run the path again.

I am contemplating a custom interface written in Python which can call macros in Freecad to automate the creation of G-code.

I understand this might be a little complicated but I will appreciate any help, you can also send me a PM for an offer to help.
Attachments
GUI presentation.png
GUI presentation.png (522.77 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

You need to express the patterns in x and y For all your designs.

For example, the pattern on the door is only a rectangle which has a offset of 1/10 of the x from the four edges. So you know Where to cut that rectangle.

After that you could generate the G code. You don't really need a fc model. Maybe only for checking the shape on screen.

Does your router has a monitor to show the shape after loading a G code?
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

2D what means, on CNC there is no 2D maybe 2.5D?

The model is done and then scaled, what happens if you want a door of 80 x 300 instead of 80x230 all the model is deformed in the Y dimensions?

X Y Z have no sense for and finished Object, Height Width and Deep, may be, speaking of interface design.

Maybe the model is better to be made with a script part that recalculate the doors and even the design of the decorations, based on some rules, and proprortions, for the saling, you may want an alternative design, defining some segments to divide the model and then elonging only the rectilinear segments of the decorations, to preserve a better proportions.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan »

I do made something similar using Rhino and Grasshopper. If you are still interested we can discuss.
Inventthis

Post by Inventthis »

Dacicusan wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm I do made something similar using Rhino and Grasshopper. If you are still interested we can discuss.
Ok thank you i am very much interested, you can send me a PM.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Have you already found someone to help you with this. making parametric 3d models with a depending application is my speciality.

Sincerely,
Aleksander Sadowski
aleksander.sadowski@alsado.de
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen