Need to design mixing valve (pay to forum or members)

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
benc

Re: Need to design mixing valve (pay to forum or members)

Post by benc »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:43 am IMO https://liberapay.com/FreeCAD is best but others may chime in, there is also for example https://www.bountysource.com/teams/freecad

Liberapay would not let me make a one-time contribution.

Bountysource simply hung up (repeatable) with the text "Verifiying" on the screen. I took my shields down but it made no difference.

Ended up sending the payment to Mail@juergen-riegel.net.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

benc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 pm If we increase the diameter of the ball mill, but keep the same depth, that should increase throughput while eliminating these weak points.
Without any background where and how this will be used I can not recommend a good solution. One way is to move the cuts along the shaft and so they will intersect at the start of the shaft - no nubs. Another is as you suggested to increase the width of the cut but how will this reflect on overal usage? Please provide some more info for a better solution :)
benc

Post by benc »

kisolre wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:36 pm
benc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 pm If we increase the diameter of the ball mill, but keep the same depth, that should increase throughput while eliminating these weak points.
Without any background where and how this will be used I can not recommend a good solution. One way is to move the cuts along the shaft and so they will intersect at the start of the shaft - no nubs. Another is as you suggested to increase the width of the cut but how will this reflect on overall usage? Please provide some more info for a better solution :)

This unit will be carrying waste oil and injected methanol at a temperature of 140 degrees. The goal is max turbulence. The wider the helical groves, the more volume they can accommodate. Or that's the thinking anyway.

What do you think is the best way to solve the nub problem? You're in the position of looking at this as it progresses on the screen. You have more perspective.

It's a shame that there's no beginner level textbook for Freecad (like I had for Autocad in college 1980's).
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

benc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:07 pm It's a shame that there's no beginner level textbook for Freecad (like I had for Autocad in college 1980's).
There is a few books. This one is from sliptonic, one of the main Path Workbench programmers.

https://www.amazon.com/FreeCAD-Inventor ... B07H9RV5X6

But do notice that FreeCAD evolves quite fast, so some things may become obsolete and no longer match the current state of the program.

Also, FreeCAD isn't a multimillion dollar company to produce training material. If you pay us for a FreeCAD license, say $5000 USD, then maybe we can get somebody to work on a text book.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
benc

Post by benc »

vocx wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm
There is a few books. This one is from sliptonic, one of the main Path Workbench programmers.

https://www.amazon.com/FreeCAD-Inventor ... B07H9RV5X6

But do notice that FreeCAD evolves quite fast, so some things may become obsolete and no longer match the current state of the program.

Also, FreeCAD isn't a multimillion dollar company to produce training material. If you pay us for a FreeCAD license, say $5000 USD, then maybe we can get somebody to work on a text book.

From that link, I see 4 FreeCad books available. I think I'll go thru those and see if I can get off the ground. I had troubles with the youtube tutorials.

It's obvious from some of the local Cadster's output, the app is more than capable of delivering the bacon. In fact, several models have been ordered from STL files provided so far. I hope to see another model available if a certain Cadster has the time and inclination. This process is absolutely AMAZING.

Please don't construe any comments as disparaging to FreeCad. These days, most young people are light years beyond where many of us were 40 years ago.
Last edited by benc on Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

benc wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 am I hope to see another model available if a certain Cadster has the time and inclination.
You never requested the actual files :) Here is a link to a shared Dropbox folder where I will work from now on. It contains just the basic FreeCAD file for now and an STL from it. I will make the modifications with wider endmill and with offset channels later today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ypbajf190qn7 ... E9Rna?dl=0
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

3/8" endmill (next size by some internet chart) produces multiple solids.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Offset variant created. Looks quite good.
Attachments
Shaft5_offset100mm.JPG
Shaft5_offset100mm.JPG (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
benc

Post by benc »

kisolre wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am Offset variant created. Looks quite good.

Outstanding. Thank you.

Could I trouble you for one more mod? If you have the time and inclination, would you produce a variant that is 5" long? It lowers the price of the plastic printed models .....
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

benc wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:37 pm would you produce a variant that is 5" long?
Done. Also did a 5/16" slot as an example.
Attachments
Shaft5_offset100mm_5in_5_16slot.JPG
Shaft5_offset100mm_5in_5_16slot.JPG (54.84 KiB) Viewed 1689 times