Looking for a Tutor for Freecad

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
schtopp

Looking for a Tutor for Freecad

Post by schtopp »

Hi; I've seen other posts where users are looking for tutors, but no adverts for tutors themselves.

I'm quite new to Freecad and need lessons on using and adjusting to the different interface. I was previously used to Autocad2018 so this software is a little different.

I'm very happy to pay by the hour or whatever suits the tutor. I'm in the UK so someone able to work in a similar timezone would be beneficial (not loving the idea of having lessons at 02:30 in the morning)

any help would be greatly appreciated

kind regards

S
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Looking for a Tutor for Freecad

Post by jmaustpc »

Welcome to FreeCAD.
schtopp wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm I was previously used to Autocad2018
Sometimes that is almost a disadvantage, you have to get "how the old CAD worked" out of your head and start again with a fresh mind. Thinking you need tutoring is a bit over the top, just start by reading the wiki, it's not perfect and we have trouble keeping it up to date due to the rapid development of FreeCAD. If you want to watch videos just remember that not all are created equal of course, but also look at the dates, in a lot of cases if they are more than a few months old then they will contain at least some out of date information but that doesn't mean you still can't learn something from them.

FreeCAD is primarily a 3d solid modeller with an enormous array of extra "things". So in most cases it works best to model the real world solid then extract a 2d Technical Drawing from that if you do want 2d CAD drawings at all. For most things, you want to start in PartDesign with Sketches, first tip, a Body is just a single contiguous solid modelled step by step by adding/subtracting features of that solid. Like all CAD leave Dress ups until the end (like fillets etc.).

The biggest tip, start with something extremely simple, most newbies fall over because they try to start with something complex. So first just "Pad" a solid in PartDesign then explore adding additive/subtractive feature to it and see how they work. In almost all cases, just experiment on simple examples of a feature and see how they work.

And read the wiki.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

What you will what to achieve?

as other said FreeCAD is a 3d modeler, with a "professional grade" 3d modelling engine, so it has a different approach to do things.

And it have different way (sometimes many different ways) to do "single" thing.

It have also two different approach to 3d modelling CSG and BREP, so it is fairly hard to help someone without knowing what he want to achieve.

Many people use it for making different things in different ways, some examples:

3d modelling to produce parts with a 3d printer, or cnc router
Architectural modelling
Structural analysis and similar task.

Wiki is a good starting point, and forum is a very good place to ask question, many skilled people and some developers read user forums so you have many chances to have an answer on the forum.

Sadly FreeCAD is also not at his 1.0 version, so some things are in a sort of work in progress state, documentation is one of this things but the wiki is a decent state to be useful at least for learning the basic things.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
schtopp

Post by schtopp »

Thanks for the advice jmaustpc.

having to change to the new environment is something i'm finding challenging especially seens as there are so many different ways to work in freecad.
I think the reason i'm looking for a tutor is that i work full time and i'm wanting to develop a presenting skill with CAD to freelance in the event of losing my job. but finding the time to refer back to the wiki and then searching the software for how to do each bit has been a little frustrating. but your right all the information is there, it just takes time to adjust and figure it out piece by piece.
schtopp

Post by schtopp »

onekk wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 am What you will what to achieve?

Thank you for the sound advice Carlo.

I'm looking at being able to produce 2D & 3D drafts of building and assemblies also being able to produce working isometrics for clients to work off. I'd love to be able to produce a run through with a 3D model. as a side im quite interested in the testing environment, to place a part or design under certain conditions to see if the design would cope with the parameters set by the client or myself.

your right all the info is there on wiki and YT but having someone skilled & capable of getting me through the process of learning the key points to the point where i can crack on would be a great benefit to me.

thanks

S