Looking to Hire for 3D Guitar Fretboard Design

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Grez

Post by Grez »

I'm new to FreeCAD but a long time 2D CAD designer who now owns a Laguna IQ CNC and VCarve Pro. While I'm learning FreeCAD in my limited fee time, I need to get a few parts drawn and not wait until I've learned enough to create them myself. I would hope to be able to edit what you create to make versions of the part as needed.

The details of the fretboard are simple enough and I have them documented in 2D AutoCAD. Preferably someone that understand the flow from CAD to G-Code to cutting wood.

Regards,
Barry
onekk
Veteran

Re: Looking to Hire for 3D Guitar Fretboard Design

Post by onekk »

I use FreeCAD to design in FreeCAD, and I'm heavily experimenting in Path creations, sadly my CNC is not operational at the moment, so the work is only theoric.

Some hint, at the moment FreeCAD has a limited set of posprocessor so crucial is the dialect of GCode that your machine could read.

Path Workbench is generally usable for most of the regular work, but maybe not the "workflow" you are accustomed.

How do you intend do make the things, using GUI or maybe scripting, and if you are using GUI what workbench you inted to use, there are many possibilities, as generally speaking CNC machines are generally 2.5D (no rotational axes).

Parts are to be finished by hand so "a decent approximation" is sufficient to make thing works, or your machine have the ability to do "decent finish" with endmills, this is more crucial as real 3D work involve some accurate and complicated path calculations that are not so easy to achieve in terms of calculations time and machine (CPU) horsepower.

Plus fretboard is the "top" part or the entire "handle" with the curved part at "bottom"

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Grez

Post by Grez »

Hi Carlo,

The fretboard is just the top part. A somewhat simple item, flat on one side, about 0.25" thick, a radius on the other side, and then the slots for the frets. The CNC can produce a nearly finished part requiring very little extra hand work or a course part depending on how I set up the tool paths. I believe I can take the FreeCAD 3D part and import it into VCarvePro to generate the G-Code.

Really I just need the part drawn. I can handle the CNC part.

Regards,
Barry
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Some measures will help, or some things, maybe we can also create a script that feed with some dimensions, will calc all the proper settings.

if it could be approximated like a semiellipse on the" bottom" and a flat on the top.

the position for the frets, think, it is better to be sample line, as the "grooves" i suppose will depend on the use of an appropriate diameter endmill.

Not soo difficult, let me see and put around a simple test script.

Maybe later this day I will be ready with a sample drawing, and then we can talk seriously about the "job".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Grez

Post by Grez »

I'm not sure of the etiquette of this forum, but I assume at this point we should communicate directly. I can send more precise information via email.
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »