3D object Scan into FreeCAD and modelling

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Siborg185

3D object Scan into FreeCAD and modelling

Post by Siborg185 »

Hi, I'm brand new to this, so forgive my lack of knowledge.... Sharp learning curve......

I have no experience with FreeCAD at all, but picking a few things up.....

So, I'm looking to import an .STL file of a 3D scanned object and convert it into a usable CAD editable part.

As an example, a round vase.... I am then looking to increase the external dimension by 15mm all over and produce a file which can be 3d printed. The vase will be a simple design with no crazy details etc.

Is this something someone would be interested in? I am happy to discuss costs etc, would hopefully lead to further work, and more detail surrounding where I would like to take this idea.

Regards
Simon
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: 3D object Scan into FreeCAD and modelling

Post by Shalmeneser »

Are you looking for a worker or do you want to learn ?
File ?
Hypercube3D

Re: 3D object Scan into FreeCAD and modelling

Post by Hypercube3D »

Siborg185 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:08 am Hi, I'm brand new to this, so forgive my lack of knowledge.... Sharp learning curve......

So, I'm looking to import an .STL file of a 3D scanned object and convert it into a usable CAD editable part.

As an example, a round vase.... I am then looking to increase the external dimension by 15mm all over and produce a file which can be 3d printed. The vase will be a simple design with no crazy details etc.
That is OK, we all must all start somewhere. :D

The 3D printer slicer should be able to scale the STL part - thus avoid learning anything hard to learn right now.

Blender is a mesh CAD program and can scale and clean up scanned mesh (https://www.blender.org).

FreeCAD is a solid modeling CAD program and can work with mesh, but better off if you start with a STEP file of the scanned object (which requires a lot of know how to convert mesh to STEP). Step files easy to manipulate in 3D CAD - for example to hollow it out, drill holes etc.