Features for money?

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: Features for money?

Post by dprojects »

ISwearImCool wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 am The things I make most are timber frames
FreeCAD is great software because you can do many things, code almost anything, as you wish. For example you can already make frames from cubes with single click, and make frame with chamfers. You can move them and resize with clicking. Also you can drill holes in profiles, without changing references, the tool changes references automatically, and at the and you have single object with all the holes. Many people at this forum told you it is impossible and this is Topological Naming Problem. But who cares? Look at the tree, I started from Cubes and at the end I have all PartDesign structure, with Sketches, named Pad, Chamfers, Holes, and Thickness profiles.

ISwearImCool wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 am wouldn't it be sweet to be able to have a top level item in the tree where you can put the other stuff in so as to have all your dados and mortises generated for you?
It is the worst for a customer to come with a ready-made technical solution. In every quality process, such as CMMI and others, there is always a requirements document where there is no mention of technical matters. Determining how to solve the problem is at a later stage. But it usually happens that the client's friend told him how it should be done from the technical side and then they were looking for someone who would do it cheaply. Only, unfortunately, something like this never leads to the solution of real needs.

There are many furniture things at FreeCAD that can be improved. I am already trying to make the furniture designing process more user friendly but not all I can do. But you need to choose the right way to do it. I pretty sure you may not need the cut hierarchy.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

dprojects wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:08 am
ISwearImCool wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 am The things I make most are timber frames
#dprojects the screenshot seems to show a workbench woodworking, I am not able to tie this up to any workbench available in the Addon Manager, please could you elaborate on its availability - Thanks
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:41 pm in the Addon Manager
You're right, it can't be found there. It is made with passion, for all people who need it, mostly the poor ones, and it is completely free without any restrictions such as LGPLvCorpo aka look but not touch or you need to pay us because we want take profit from your work. The workbench can be downloaded at my github and it is under MIT license.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

dprojects wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:57 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:41 pm in the Addon Manager
You're right, it can't be found there. It is made with passion, for all people who need it, mostly the poor ones, and it is completely free without any restrictions such as LGPLvCorpo aka look but not touch or you need to pay us because we want take profit from your work. The workbench can be downloaded at my github and it is under MIT license.
Would be good if @ISwearImCool checked it out, might address their requirements.

I see it has 19 stars :D , I would encourage you to add it to the Addon Manager as might make more people aware of it.
I know you have used the old style of workbench coding ( Personally don't like the new style at all ) and think it can still be added to the manager.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:49 pm I see it has 19 stars :D
I am not chasing popularity and money here, I made it because I like coding and woodworking, it gives me fun. Half-year ago it not even exists. So it is still under development. I want to make some woodworking tasks more friendly but woodworking is really wide market. Joinery is not supported yet, but you can add dowels very easy. So some improvements are made.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

dprojects wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:49 pm I see it has 19 stars :D
I am not chasing popularity and money here
I am not aware of any workbench that charges money or is chasing money.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:54 pm I am not aware of any workbench that charges money or is chasing money.
Maybe this is bad thing for FreeCAD growth. If you would be able to make money, sell your own code, probably corporate world and companies would be more interested to make its own workbenches, and developers could earn money for they work. But for now I don't plan to charge anyone. I want people to use it if they want and don't fear of breaking LGPL rules.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

ISwearImCool

Post by ISwearImCool »

@chrisb
The box from your dropbox doesn't really seem to be that complicated. Perhaps it is sufficient to learn the existing tools better. What you describe - cutting multiple objects - could for example be made with a compound.
Yeah, the point of the box is that it is so simple and the tree is a mess. I have modelled more complex things and it always end up being extremely manual because the booleans create nests, which means parts are hard to keep track of. Shoot, I could do all the parts drawings on paper faster, but paper doesn't scale. Which is why I'm after this kind of thing. I could have made that box in real life faster than I did in freeCAD lol, but any more complex and a computer models it better. Do you get what I'm saying?

Maybe there is a better workflow that you could point me toward, but I have done a ton of watching tutorials, reading tutorials and googling and haven't found a faster workflow than boolean cuts. It's just that it has extremely limited scale because of the nesting problem and also the need for a multiplicity of items to cut a single on sometimes.

I view a computer as a tool. If I can pay to get a better tool, I will if I can afford it, which is the point of this post.

FreeCAD, despite not being designed for us has so much potential for woodworkers, so I would like to see if I can fund some development in that direction.

@dprojects

Timber frames: https://www.timberhavenloghomes.com/wp- ... CF5972.jpg, not picture frames. Tons of parts, lots of complex joinery, but all driven by certain specs and therefore have a really high potential for automation of the design.

@keithsloan52

I have checked it out, but it doesn't list any of its features and the examples are different in their kind than I'm typically doing so I didn't download it because I didn't know what it did. I looked closer and I still don't think it addresses my use case any more than part design and part, but maybe I misunderstand it. No mortise or tenons as far as I can tell.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ISwearImCool wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:46 pm Maybe there is a better workflow that you could point me toward,
Did you ever look at the PartDesign workbench? The features in a body are ordered linearly and not nested.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

ISwearImCool wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:46 pm Timber frames: https://www.timberhavenloghomes.com/wp- ... CF5972.jpg, not picture frames. Tons of parts, lots of complex joinery, but all driven by certain specs and therefore have a really high potential for automation of the design.
The woodworking market is huge sector, it is impossible to cover everything. However, the approach is significant. If you look at the picture you show, there are many almost the same elements. You can make single element and make it parametric. Than you an build from such elements with linking and make copies. In the similar way I add realistic looking screws and angles.

Also there are some workbenches like: Maybe they are no longer maintained but maybe they works for your needs.

FreeCAD allows for many beautiful things. Sometimes you have to approach problem from he other side to solve it in more efficient way. FreeCAD is used by many people from different sectors, and maybe they don't want to have all joinery types in master, to make it heavy. It is better to work macro or workbench for that.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects