Start Page Redesign

A subforum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

wmayer
Site Admin

Re: Start Page Redesign

Postby wmayer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 am

People, since QWebKit has been ported to Qt5, nothing prevents us to continue using HTML for the startpage.
However, this is not a Qt sub-module any more but maintained by someone else. And until now only Linux folks seem to have pre-built binaries available but macOS & Windows users have to build it on their own. But since Qt5Webkit is a fat monster the macOS guys would like to move to QtWebEngine anyway which is officially supported by Qt to reduce maintenance work.
looo

Postby looo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:27 pm

wmayer wrote:And until now only Linux folks seem to have pre-built binaries available but macOS & Windows
conda now supports them all, and one of the main-maintainer has announced to to support qt-webkit for future versions of qt...
wmayer wrote:But since Qt5Webkit is a fat monster the macOS guys would like to move to QtWebEngine anyway which is officially supported by Qt
I guess qtWebEngine is a monster too, and for sure not easy to build.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm

I guess qtWebEngine is a monster too, and for sure not easy to build.
Yes, it's also a monster but because it's official part of the Qt sources it doesn't require extra steps to build it. The only problem so far is that building a debug version somehow seems impossible as the linker hangs.

Btw, since we are only using the Python interface of the WebGui module inside the StartPage it actually doesn't matter much which engine is used.
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Just wondering. Has anybody tried to pack QtWebEngine in macOS/Windows binary? I wonder what are the caveats involved.

But anyway it would be nice to preserve web enabled FreeCAD. Not just for Start page purposes but to be there and on all platforms if needed for whatever purpose.
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm

wmayer wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm
Btw, since we are only using the Python interface of the WebGui module inside the StartPage it actually doesn't matter much which engine is used.
I think you have pointed out this before. Does FreeCAD really need an integrated full fledged browser? Maybe something more light weight would be more appropriate? If it's about the documentation, maybe that's another vote to make the on-line docs/offline-docs an "add-on"
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 pm

sgrogan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm
Does FreeCAD really need an integrated full fledged browser?
I think it could become really handy the day FreeCAD begins to use web resources. But indeed I think the whole point is that it was more or less easy to add because Qt provides a built-in web framework. If we need to do extra work to maintain it, it looses part of its interest.. But it seems that qt is decided to keep a web framework, so...