the preferences window is changing its size

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

david69
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

the preferences window is changing its size

Postby david69 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 am

OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (LXDE/Lubuntu)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 8ac722c1e89ef530564293efd30987db09017e12
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

if you open the window Edit -> preferences -> choose a workbench, the preference window opens in a state.
now leave it opened, switch to something else, come back, the size of the preference window changes. you may need to wait for few seconds.
if you do again, it may have changed again.

same behavior on the 0.19.1
david69
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby david69 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:52 am

nobody observes that?
chrisb
Posts: 35188
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby chrisb » Mon May 24, 2021 11:32 am

david69 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:52 am nobody observes that?
Not here. You may replace "something" by something concrete, so we can do exactly the same as you.

OS: macOS 10.16
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24825 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ccc4151b3020969450325466e385850783795325
Python version: 3.9.2
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
User avatar
Roy_043
Posts: 3037
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby Roy_043 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:56 pm

This is intended behavior. Some of the tabs require more space and will cause the dialog to resize. The new size is then kept when switching back to a 'smaller' tab.
david69
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby david69 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:03 pm

by something i meant anything else: switch to your navigator, open an other application and so on... and come back to the preference window. Before come back to the preference window, you may need to wait for 20sec.

here are screenshots where the results is abnormal and similar to the "something operation":

note the window is not full screen. It is the original size when opening it.
2021-05-24-134920_1366x768_scrot.png
2021-05-24-134920_1366x768_scrot.png (149.64 KiB) Viewed 857 times
i click on the folding shortcut and recall the window, and here is what i've got:
2021-05-24-134942_1366x768_scrot.png
2021-05-24-134942_1366x768_scrot.png (149.63 KiB) Viewed 857 times
an other trial, this time the preference window is full screen
2021-05-24-142556_1366x768_scrot.png
2021-05-24-142556_1366x768_scrot.png (110.62 KiB) Viewed 857 times
again, i click on folding shortcut and recall the window, and here is what i've got:
2021-05-24-142606_1366x768_scrot.png
2021-05-24-142606_1366x768_scrot.png (99.81 KiB) Viewed 857 times
User avatar
turn211
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby turn211 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 am

david69 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 am OS: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (LXDE/Lubuntu)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 8ac722c1e89ef530564293efd30987db09017e12
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

if you open the window Edit -> preferences -> choose a workbench, the preference window opens in a state.
now leave it opened, switch to something else, come back, the size of the preference window changes. you may need to wait for few seconds.
if you do again, it may have changed again.

same behavior on the 0.19.1
It is your Window manager. Look up window position and size for LXDE. Nothing to do with FreeCAD. Not remembering window position and size is a common idiosyncrasy with DE's and Window Managers in Linux. Happy learning!
david69
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby david69 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 pm

hmm scratching my head, which menu might manage it. lxde is may be the root cause of this behavior.
meanwhile, I check with VLC and Deadbeef and the size of their preference window and it doesn't change like with Freecad.
User avatar
turn211
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby turn211 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

david69 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 pm hmm scratching my head, which menu might manage it. lxde is may be the root cause of this behavior.
meanwhile, I check with VLC and Deadbeef and the size of their preference window and it doesn't change like with Freecad.
Don't know if it's an option for you but if you upgraded Lubuntu to the latest version the Desktop is now LXQt and will save the window size and position on exit
david69
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: the preferences window is changing its size

Postby david69 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:07 am

that's not a big deal for me as long as it is no a bug with Freecad. thank you for your answer.