tooltips text end character

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

tooltips text end character

Post by carlopav »

I noticed there are several tooltips text that differ from ending with or without a point... changing them to a standard would imply that the translations will be broken?
And, should tooltip text finish with or without a point?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Syres
Veteran

Re: tooltips text end character

Post by Syres »

I was always under the impression that a Tooltip should be a meaningful sentence and as such should end in a full stop (period in the US and what you state as a point). A full stop definitely does not break translations (as it shouldn't), I've just tested one in Sketch and the Francais works fine.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works, but I thought that anytime a translated string was changed in the source, it was marked as out-of-date for translators. Obviously the update on translators' end is simple, but I thought that it had to be manually confirmed. Maybe @Kunda1 can clarify?
Kunda1 wrote: Ping
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chennes wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:12 am Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works, but I thought that anytime a translated string was changed in the source, it was marked as out-of-date for translators. Obviously the update on translators' end is simple, but I thought that it had to be manually confirmed. Maybe @Kunda1 can clarify?
Correct. But it is not so much simple as tedious. We have to be super mindful when it comes to translators. Translator needs to move through all strings that have been changed and modify them and confirm. This is quite monotonous and frustrating (I know since I've experienced it). When we introduce a commit that will break many tranlsations (like changing default shortcuts)...then lets talk about uniform tooltips (with a period at the end).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

carlopav wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:29 am I noticed there are several tooltips text that differ from ending with or without a point... changing them to a standard would imply that the translations will be broken?
And, should tooltip text finish with or without a point?
I recall Android's equivalent of tooltips (I forget the exact nomenclature), and possibly other strings, had the policy to skip the period at the end of the sentence if the tip was a single sentence, and use the period for all sentences if there are more.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.