[Tracking Thread] [UX] List of potential ways to decrease the amount of mouse clicks

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chrismettal

Re: [Tracking Thread] [UX] List of potential ways to decrease the amount of mouse clicks

Post by Chrismettal »

Thank you, didn't know about the scrolling in the spinbox! That's a nice workaround!

The EasyAlias macro as well. This is something that in my eyes should just be merged to master instead of requiring an additional download. Will use this from now on!

Your idea on autochanging to include the spreadsheet name is good. The main point is that whenever there is a popup requiring a dimension, just entering a variable name could pop out the dropdown with detected aliases, no matter if we started typing the sheet name beforehand (And also without entering the expression bubble first). Having it autocomplete to <SheetName>.<VarName> is fine I suppose.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Tracking Thread] [UX] List of potential ways to decrease the amount of mouse clicks

Post by openBrain »

This one always bores me a lot (but probably because it happens very often to me as I often kill FreeCAD :P)
Attachments
tooMuchClicks.gif
tooMuchClicks.gif (212.79 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am This one always bores me a lot (but probably because it happens very often to me as I often kill FreeCAD :P)
Same. It should close itself, but I guess it's good to get a confirmation that the job was done.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Chrismettal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 am
When you forget your variable name you also have to exit out of the popup completely, open your spreadsheet again (Which I think you cannot have next to the model view?) and look up your alias, as I think there are no suggestions for variables until you start typing the correct name, or maybe I am blind.
I had the idea to relabel the spreadsheet name to "ss" and prepend each alias with "ss_". Then when you enter "ss.ss_" you get a list of alias names to choose from.
Snip macro screenshot-b1c5a2.png
Snip macro screenshot-b1c5a2.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I have a PR pending that would save a few clicks in Part workbench, especially when doing sweeps. Current workflow:

1) click toolbar icon
2) select profile in left panel
3) click right arrow (or doubleclick)
4) click choose path button
5) select path in the 3d view
6) select solid = true
7) click done (selecting path)
8) click Ok to do sweep

With my PR:

1) select profile in tree
2) select path in 3d view
3) click toolbar icon

But there doesn't seem to be much interest, and the ones that are interested seem to want the feature disabled by default.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65291
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:36 am I had the idea to relabel the spreadsheet name to "ss" and prepend each alias with "ss_". Then when you enter "ss.ss_" you get a list of alias names to choose from.

Snip macro screenshot-b1c5a2.png
Nice workaround. Better than closing out of the menu fully. Still, maybe we can make this more streamlined, not requiring "ss.ss" at all.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Chrismettal wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 pm (And also without entering the expression bubble first)
Hmmm I think I'm going to disagree with this one, IMO expressions shouldn't be set unless explicitly asked by the user and this might be very hard to implement anyways. If you want to save time and not have to move the mouse and click the icon I suggest just using the = key, this brings up the expression dialog.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:33 am
openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am This one always bores me a lot (but probably because it happens very often to me as I often kill FreeCAD :P)
Same. It should close itself, but I guess it's good to get a confirmation that the job was done.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5484