QT5 file open/save dialogue with Alzheimers

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: file open/save dialogue with Alzheimers

Post by freman »

Well I don't regard it as solved. Linking in an outside dlg lib is a work around which does nothing to redress the short coming of the internal qt dialogues I highlighted.

The FC dialogue behaviour seems seriously deficient and I don't recall qt4 build being like this. It is striking how inefficient it is compared to what I was used to on the qt4 master builds I was using this summer. It is unfortunate to see software going backwards as it moves on to newer and presumably more fully featured versions.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Yea, Qt5 feels like a step back sometimes. Reminds me of all the struggle I had with gesture nav style. With qt4, pretty much no gesture support, so I rolled my own relatively painlessly (but windows-only). With qt5, there is, but it's really broken, which made me jump hoops to make it work.

Then that radeon driver incompatibility.
Also, some icons don't render as nicely.
Also PySide2 problems, I had trouble accessing QApplication singleton.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Yes, I had bunch of PySide2 errors earlier. I didn't have time to pay any more attention to it.

FC does seem more stable here on qt5/py3 for the moment : only a couple of crashes, compared every 5min before !! Maybe qt4 builds had degraded because no one on the team was using it any more and were not testing the "default" qt4 builds.

Do you know whether the last used list is under API control or do we just have to put up with what it does ? qt4 seemed very sensible and I rarely had any complaint. Is this degradation during porting FC to qt5 or degraded out-of-the-box functionality inherited from qt libs?

Is it possible to have a second instance of the dialogues as I suggested, or is there just one global one served up on demand? I think font choices needs to be treated as a separate situation to user's own files. Polluting the recently used path dropdown between the two serves neither need very well.
DeeJayOne

Re: QT5 file open/save dialogue with Alzheimers

Post by DeeJayOne »

freman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 am
My last qt4 was from Aug25 master. I never saw these issues on any qt4 build, so I'm suspecting it is qt5 related.

Also File | Recent files only seems to retain 4 entries, this is insufficient and means it is often not useful and I need to climbing around tree again just to find what I did 10min earlier. I don't see anywhere to configure the number entries and I think it previouslywent deeper.
I share your mind about the ONLY 4 entries in the recent files list, this is not enough for me too in daily usage.

I run FreeCAD under Windows 10 and I have seen from v0.17 (QT4) to v0.19 (QT5) the same 4 entries limitations. So, I'm asking if QT4 to QT5 is the real pb.

These 3 FC version run with a 4 entries ONLY in Recent Files :

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

Version: 0.19.20310 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 2cac4898d7d62276fbbaaef5b4cecb9bfdd29a33
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Thanks for the input.
Clearly I was mistaken , it must be some change which happened around that time.
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

Just to illustrate a previous answer by Chris (I didn't see it !!!), you can change the number of items.
Attachments
Recent File List - with border.PNG
Recent File List - with border.PNG (55.02 KiB) Viewed 946 times
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

10 is a good value, although I haven't needed it for a long time. I delete the backup files as soon as a model is finished and everything is clean again. (I would like to see the possibility for a special backup directory, where all the backups go.)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

recent file list length and number of backups is two separate settings.

I agree it would be nice to have backups separate, especially since file names are reused cyclically, so you need to examine dates to find out which is most recent if you want to keep one when cleaning up. I have a huge amount of clutter and cleaning up is a lot of clicking.