FreeCAD UI Overhaul anyone?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD UI Overhaul anyone?

Post by kkremitzki »

I just got done watching @ickby's new UI video. I think implementing that more fully would be amazing. ickby is there a branch I can check out from https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_master that contains your work on this?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote:I just got done watching @ickby's new UI video. I think implementing that more fully would be amazing. ickby is there a branch I can check out from https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_master that contains your work on this?
Agreed, it's pretty jaw-dropping awesome
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
nyholku

Post by nyholku »

@NormandC

Don't want to argue the language because this is really a small point but this sentence caught my eye:
nyholku wrote:
Pad = Extrude (pad is hygiene product for women)
Maybe in your language, true for main use of the word in French (which is why I translated it to "Protrusion" in FreeCAD), but Pad is the word used in a few CAD programs, including CATIA I think.
I am Finnish, so 'pad' is definitely not anything in my language, except maybe as a short hand for iPad.

But if you google for the meaning (in English) for 'pad' it is difficult to find any CAD like usage (I don't deny that there cannot be such usage, but it must not be common as it is hard to find).

If you google for 'to pad' (i.e. as a verb) then we find one usage which is perhaps the closest approximation to what the command means:

"fill or cover (something) with a soft material in order to protect or shape it or to make it more comfortable."

But even that is not very good match because I think most native speakers really associate this with 'pad with soft material' which in most cases is not what we do in CAD.

If this usage comes from CATIA, which is French IIRC, then a mistranslation is understandable.

I remember Apple was strongly ridiculed for the use of pad in 'iPad'.

But English not my first language and this is a small matter so I won't argue this particular word further, just wanted to get this off my chest.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

kkremitzki wrote:I just got done watching @ickby's new UI video. I think implementing that more fully would be amazing. ickby is there a branch I can check out from https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_master that contains your work on this?
Yes, it is in an very old branch. Back than i found that implementiert this further was mit possible without qt5. So with that working now I think there are very good chances of having a qml based overlay Ui. Be aware that all Code written ist of poor quality, it was an Experiment.

https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_mas ... ut?files=1

Also Note that i'm not intending to Work further on this as all my time goes to PD and Assembly now. So feel free to take over.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

nyholku wrote:Don't want to argue the language because this is really a small point but this sentence caught my eye:
Pad = Extrude (pad is hygiene product for women)
Maybe it could be named Extrude in Part Design too (instead of Pad) but there it would always create a solid.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In the direct translation to german the notions "Pad" and "Pocket" seemed to me peculiar when I first heard them, but in fact they perfectly meet the language of cutting machine operators. Perhaps this is in other languages similar.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
agryson

Post by agryson »

chrisb wrote:In the direct translation to german the notions "Pad" and "Pocket" seemed to me peculiar when I first heard them, but in fact they perfectly meet the language of cutting machine operators. Perhaps this is in other languages similar.
I found this and page 16 suggests Pad is an irregular projection. Though that seems a little more specific than what we use it for... Any domain experts want to hop in?
nyholku

Post by nyholku »

@agryson, well spotted and nice reference.

So there is some evidence to support the use of 'pad' instead of 'extrude'.

Never heard of this though.

As most CAD software AFAICT use extrude I would prefer that.

If the 'pad' command does more that extrude does in other CAD programs and thus 'requires' a different name I would suggest that it would be best then to have an 'extrude' command as well.

But I'm not here to talk about the name of a single command, this was such a curious name that I could not help comment on it. Looking at FreeCAD forums and old posts it seems I'm not the only one.

cheers Kusti
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We could add to the existing translations to foreign languages some more e.g. to Solid Works, Catia, etc. :lol:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

This is a good discussion, please think about NormandC's comments earlier in the thread.
Besides, Extrude is already taken by the Part workbench. It's not a good idea to have two different commands (PartDesign Pad and Part Extrude) have the same name. It's already a problem with Fillet and Chamfer.
It's true that is can be confusing, but extrude in a csg program and extrude in a sketched based parametric modeling program mean different things. FreeCAD has both. A PartDesign Pad takes a sketch and extrudes the closed profile as a solid and fuses it to the support (if it exists)
A Part Extrude takes a "shape", not necessarily closed, and extrudes it. A wire yields a face, a closed profile yield's a shell (by default) or a solid. The result is not fused to support.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17205 what can go wrong with a rename of a feature.
I'm all for making it easier, especially for the new user, but it must be done with caution.
"fight the good fight"