UI/UX suggestions for Addon Installer

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Soft UI/UX suggestions for Macro Addon Installer

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:What do y'all think?
I get a build failure trying to copy a non-existent file from this
https://github.com/kkremitzki/FreeCAD/b ... xt#L16-L21
It can be deleted as you are not using a resource file.
Otherwise it seems to work well.
Ah, thanks, that was a relic of an earlier stage of development. I had tried to put the icon in src/Mod/AddonManager/Resources/icons but no matter what I tweaked, I'd get an icon not found error. I would have preferred to keep the icon there but ended up having to put it in src/Gui/Icons. I pushed a fix to the branch.

I figured it was an issue of the module code not having loaded and declared the resource at the time the GUI was coming up.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Ah, thanks, that was a relic of an earlier stage of development. I had tried to put the icon in src/Mod/AddonManager/Resources/icons but no matter what I tweaked, I'd get an icon not found error. I would have preferred to keep the icon there but ended up having to put it in src/Gui/Icons. I pushed a fix to the branch.

I figured it was an issue of the module code not having loaded and declared the resource at the time the GUI was coming up.
I'm not a cmake guru but I think the whole block I highlighted in my previous post can be deleted. After your last change I think your copying nothing from one place to another? Compiling now to check.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote:
kkremitzki wrote: Ah, thanks, that was a relic of an earlier stage of development. I had tried to put the icon in src/Mod/AddonManager/Resources/icons but no matter what I tweaked, I'd get an icon not found error. I would have preferred to keep the icon there but ended up having to put it in src/Gui/Icons. I pushed a fix to the branch.

I'm not a cmake guru but I think the whole block I highlighted in my previous post can be deleted. After your last change I think your copying nothing from one place to another? Compiling now to check.
Testing here as well, I figured that change was the minimum to not have a failed build, but I'm even less than "not a cmake guru" myself.

Edit: Just finished compiling and it looks good, I removed that whole block and pushed the changes again.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote:Testing here as well, I figured that change was the minimum to not have a failed build, but I'm even less than "not a cmake guru" myself.

Edit: Just finished compiling and it looks good, I removed that whole block and pushed the changes again.
I did the same locally, everything is good, all unit tests passed from the gui. I vote for a pull request.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

You guys should make a feature announcement. @yorik I just noticed the dxf stuff, great! I think this should greatly help the users! No more trouble getting the addon macro as raw etc. Congrats!
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

sgrogan wrote:@yorik I just noticed the dxf stuff, great!
Can the macro be adjusted to look for previously installed version in the macro folder and delete at install as a module?
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote:
sgrogan wrote:@yorik I just noticed the dxf stuff, great!
Can the macro be adjusted to look for previously installed version in the macro folder and delete at install as a module?
Can you elaborate? I'm having a hell of a time parsing this post.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:Can the macro be adjusted to look for previously installed version in the macro folder and delete at install as a module?
Updating a macro should just delete the old files, normally...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote:Updating a macro should just delete the old files, normally...
I mean if a user has "Allow FreeCAD to automatically download and update DXF libraries" in Import/Export DXF prefs and installs with the Addons installer, then there are two copies. One in the Mod folder and one in the Macros folder.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I hadn't followed on your progress until I saw this was merged. Great work guys! :)

It even recognized workbenches I installed manually by Git.

Just wondering, was the UI redesign with preview pane by kkremitzki abandoned? My Addon manager window still looks like the one from the first post in this topic.