Sketcher visibility automation and AutoUpdate checkbox

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Sketcher visibility automation and AutoUpdate checkbox

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
Realthunder made a pull request, whrere he disabled hiding all dependent objects when opening a sketch and auto-update checkbox is ticked. This generated a discussion on github:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/457
realthunder commented 2 days ago
When skecher auto recompute is enabled, user expects to see immediate changes on dependent object. This patch disables auto hide dependent feature when auto recompute is enabled.
@realthunder Sketcher: disble hide dependent when auto recompute a2c5906

--------------------------------------------------

@wwmayer
Contributor
wwmayer commented 5 hours ago
TBH I don't like this change because of two reasons:

1. In sketch edit mode you can toggle auto-recompute. If it's off and you switch it on nothing happens. You first have to leave and re-enter edit mode which is unintuitive.
2. In the preferences there is extra a setting to control this behaviour "Hide all objects that depend on the sketch". With the suggested change we have two colliding settings and it would look like the "hide all objects" setting doesn't work as expected.
@DeepSOIC Since you are the author of TempoViz I would like to hear your opinion.

@DeepSOIC
Contributor
DeepSOIC commented 5 hours ago
I like the idea in general, but I agree with @wwmayer on both 2 points, especially with point 2.

I struggle to suggest a better way to do it, I need to think about it.

@DeepSOIC
Contributor
DeepSOIC commented 5 hours ago
OK, I think I have an opinion.
Merge Auto-update and Hide-dependent into one thing. That is:

* the checkbox on task panel should be renamed to "Show result update in real time"
* Same setting in preferences, which sets default for new sketches.
* rename corresponding ViewProvider property, and tie it with the state of the checkbox in task panel
* make the action of checkbox show/hide objects as it's checked and unchecked.
I think, this change should be brought up to the forum, to hear other people's opinion.

@realthunder
Contributor
realthunder commented 4 hours ago
That's sounds much better. I'll vote for it.
I post it here, to maybe get some opinions.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Sketcher visibility automation and AutoUpdate checkbox

Post by triplus »

If i understand the discussion correctly we are talking about 2 separate things.

One is about updating dependent geometry based on the changes made in the sketcher automatically. And the second one is about showing/hiding the dependant geometry in the 3D view.

Therefore if user should have an option as we can't decide instead of the user one solution is to provide 2 checkboxes in the sidebar. One for dependant geometry recompute purposes and one for dependant geometry visibility purposes.

P.S. If that will be done i would further suggest to remove the current visibility related option from the preferences.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

In addition both checkboxes would likely be good candidates for converting them to toggle commands on one of the Sketcher toolbars. That is such functionality doesn't necessary need to be in the sidebar. Especially for visibility related commands that could make much sense as a shortcut can be assigned for it after.
agryson

Post by agryson »

As I understand it, there is showing dependant geometry as one setting and auto-updating it as the sketch is changed as another. I would tend towards @DeepSOIC's final suggestion as it would seem to clearly state what the system will do in all cases.

One updates, one shows.

As this is tool agnostic and is tightly linked to editing and performance, the sidebar seems to me to be the best place but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Important point: @DeepSOIC mentioned wanting to bring this onto the forum, are we sure we aren't splitting the conversation? Do we have a link to @DeepSOIC's thread if any?
Edit: sorry, only noticed who stated the thread!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This issue could be taken into account too: issue #0000845

EDIT: Fixed link
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wmayer wrote:This issue could be taken into account too: git commit 0000845
git commit link is broken, perhaps you meant issue #845 ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs