Selector toolbar

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: Selector toolbar

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:Hi Pablo.

I updated the code and the reported issue should be resolved.
Solved!
Thank you very much
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Selector.png
Selector.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
To make end user experience more streamlined selector menu is now enabled by default at front.
Static.png
Static.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
New Static option can be enabled for the selector menu button. When enabled selector menu button won't adapt to workbench changes.
CustomMenu.png
CustomMenu.png (46.27 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Selector menu entries can now be customized.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Really cool update! now it's almost perfect :D

Two things:
  • in the workbench menu list, the first one is the actual one... I guess this is redundant because you would never want to activate a workbench that is already active, doesn't it?
    redundant.png
    redundant.png (141.69 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
  • I have improved a little bit the icon and created a light and dark versions in case you want to let user decide which color fits better their style
Attachments
SelectorToolbarMenu_light.svg
(946.22 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
SelectorToolbarMenu_dark.svg
(946.22 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:in the workbench menu list, the first one is the actual one... I guess this is redundant because you would never want to activate a workbench that is already active, doesn't it?
The rationale was to always have active workbench listed in selector menu in some form. Currently it is added on top of the selector menu (if it isn't enabled by the user). Adding it as the last item instead likely makes more sense.

As for removing active workbench from the selector menu altogether (if not enabled by the user). It can happen. Will test the behaviour over the weekend.
I have improved a little bit the icon and created a light and dark versions in case you want to let user decide which color fits better their style
No. Such decisions are left to the user and appropriate icon theme. As for the current one. Likely some color is missing to fit better in the default icon set. But on the other hand due to its function it works good as is.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Selector menu improvements
  • Don't insert active workbench in selector menu
  • Icon themes support for (static) selector menu button
https://github.com/triplus/SelectorToolbar
the_document

Post by the_document »

Wrong topic, cannot delete posts.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Just started playing with this. It's definitely better than the workbench toolbar. Unfortunately, it goes missing when switching to Sketcher. I presume that's a known issue, but I couldn't find evidence. :)

Edit: I take that back. It gets pushed to the right and compressed, so I just didn't see it. Would be nice if sketcher respected global tool bars a bit better...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

It works perfect for me, even in Sketcher Workbench. Try to switch manually to that workbench and position all the toolbar elements as you wish. Then, it will stay in place.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Joel_graff wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:58 am Just started playing with this. It's definitely better than the workbench toolbar.
It's an additional choice user can make and use. That is to use the combo box, selector toolbar or a combination.
Unfortunately, it goes missing when switching to Sketcher. I presume that's a known issue, but I couldn't find evidence. :)

Edit: I take that back. It gets pushed to the right and compressed, so I just didn't see it. Would be nice if sketcher respected global tool bars a bit better...
As @pablogil said likely you will need to adjust the toolbars (once) in workbenches where the location is not expected. After persistent toolbars functionality should take over. And place them as set up by you.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

triplus wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm It's an additional choice user can make and use. That is to use the combo box, selector toolbar or a combination.
Right - individual preferences vary. It exposes the options at the cost of clutter. It's a tradeoff, I guess, but anytime you can make the options more visible (as opposed to hiding them in a dropdown) it's a UI win in my book.
triplus wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm As @pablogil said likely you will need to adjust the toolbars (once) in workbenches where the location is not expected. After persistent toolbars functionality should take over. And place them as set up by you.
Yeah. I didn't respond because it wasn't behaving the way @pablogil said it would, so I've just been testing and watching it over the last few days. It seems to have gotten better, but for a while, it wouldn't remember positions for anything.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers