Core FreeCAD icons aligned to guidelines

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jidoeuf

Re: Core FreeCAD icons aligned to guidelines

Post by jidoeuf »

yorik wrote:This makes it hard to know which one is "front" and which one is "right side"...
I think we could rotate that cube slightly,so there is one face that is more frontal than the other, what do you think?
+1
This cube is confusing.
agryson

Post by agryson »

yorik wrote:I think we could rotate that cube slightly,so there is one face that is more frontal than the other, what do you think?
That is easy enough, and is closer to what was there before. I'll try to have something by the end of the week.

As for the save icon, i agree that better could be found, but this project's goal was to avoid total redesigns and to focus on alignment.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorik wrote:There is also another problem I think: The different view icons (front, top, left, right, etc), are now fully isometric. This makes it hard to know which one is "front" and which one is "right side"...

Screenshot from 2017-04-03 10-24-33.png
I think we could rotate that cube slightly,so there is one face that is more frontal than the other, what do you think?
Nice!
agryson

Post by agryson »

yorik wrote:I think we could rotate that cube slightly,so there is one face that is more frontal than the other, what do you think?
How's this?
I turned the view icons to more clearly indicate front/left etc.
viewbar.png
viewbar.png (28.19 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
For the wireframe, shaded, axonometric etc, I left as they were since there was no issue of left/front.
jidoeuf

Post by jidoeuf »

agryson wrote:How's this?
It's better, but instead of a cube maybe you could use a rectangular cuboid?
Like you did in TechDraw WB:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
agryson wrote:For the wireframe, shaded, axonometric etc, I left as they were since there was no issue of left/front.
For axonometric view, you could use the rectangular cuboid from TechDraw WB

To avoid confusing view rotations and draw styles, I think we should have a different set of icons for draw styles.
Here is an example for wireframe and flat lines:
draw_styles.png
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

agryson wrote:How's this?
Perfect!

I liked more these cubes than the cuboid actually... The cube seems more "neutral" than the cuboid which seems to refer to a shape to me... So cube woudl mean view, cuboid would mean shape... Don't know if that makes any sense...
agryson

Post by agryson »

yorik wrote:I liked more these cubes than the cuboid actually... The cube seems more "neutral" than the cuboid which seems to refer to a shape to me... So cube woudl mean view, cuboid would mean shape... Don't know if that makes any sense...
Great, PR submitted.
I understand, a cuboid suggests there's a reason one side is longer than the other, while a cube is more neutral.

The reason I did it like that in Techdraw is because the original icons were unambiguously cuboids, but I would have preferred cubes personally speaking.
jidoeuf wrote:To avoid confusing view rotations and draw styles, I think we should have a different set of icons for draw styles.
Here is an example for wireframe and flat lines:
I love this idea. The addition of the sphere makes the wireframe mode much more explicit. This would render any documentation incompatible however - where are we on pinning a date on 0.17? Last I heard we were waiting on the massive work of assembly / new part design.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

agryson wrote:I love this idea. The addition of the sphere makes the wireframe mode much more explicit. This would render any documentation incompatible however - where are we on pinning a date on 0.17? Last I heard we were waiting on the massive work of assembly / new part design.
I like the draw style idea as well.
I think there is no way to consider a release until after the end of GSoC, depending on what project(s) are chosen.

I think the documentation issue is going to be a very difficult problem. Many things are changing in 0.17, while we must support the current 0.16 release. For example the Part Design (FEM, Path) documentation for 0.16 and 0.17 is going to be drastically different. I think the wiki guys are using sandbox pages to start. To think that a feature freeze of a few weeks before the 0.17 release will allow the documentation to catch up seems unrealistic. I don't have a suggestion for a solution though. The changes in 0.17 are going to be drastic. The forum regulars have been consistent warning users the implications of using the dev version.
"fight the good fight"
agryson

Post by agryson »

sgrogan wrote: I don't have a suggestion for a solution though. The changes in 0.17 are going to be drastic.
Yeah, there's some pretty major changes... I'll hang around the wiki a bit more and see what's going on in the sandboxes.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:To think that a feature freeze of a few weeks before the 0.17 release will allow the documentation to catch up seems unrealistic. I don't have a suggestion for a solution though.
Agreed on the first part.

As for second part, Kurt (kkremitzki) suggested use of namespaces. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Namespaces

Can't find hist post, it may not have been in the wiki forum. We need to create such a discussion over there...