Complete Workbench :(

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Complete Workbench :(

Post by wmayer »

If it would be used for developers to add quality standalone commands to it the name makes sense. As this is in line with what Complete workbench was used for in the past.
This was true for previous versions but doesn't make sense any more for 0.17 or later because there we have some automatisms implemented (PDN, FEM, ...) to switch to the right workbench when e.g. double-clicking an object for editing.
I don't quite understand what it is good for having a Complete workbench with no relevant function inside. Then we can also remove it straight away.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

When i said a placeholder for standalone commands:

Code: Select all

Complete_CommandName.py
Contributions like that is what i was referring to.

As for users using Complete workbench for customization purposes (FreeCAD 0.17). It's true there is some automatisms implemented for some commands ATM. And currently it isn't optional and likely won't be in FreeCAD 0.17. But on the long run i do imagine it could happen. As for the rest. I don't have more answers therefore the only way is to make the test and listen to the feedback and see how things will progress further. Removing it completely can still happen in the future.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm The purpose you propose would be useful, but then the "Complete" name would make even less sense than it does now. Why not rename it while you're at it?
Seems to be 2 reasonable uses for catch-all WBs:

"myWorkbench" - a place for users to collect their favourite/most used tools. Alternate name "Favourites".
"Tools" - a place for developers to put contributions that don't apply to just 1 workbench. Alternate name "Utility".

"Complete" should disappear, it makes no sense.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

And are we able to agree on things like workbench names and are prepared to introduce 2 empty workbenches by default in FreeCAD 0.17? And know with some level of certainty it does make sense?

If yes i don't have problems adapting the pull request to such outcome. If no keeping it simple with one already available but empty workbench in FreeCAD 0.17 (and after listening to the feedback as discussed) should i guess do.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Merged.
rapatan

Post by rapatan »

hi
this use to be a great way to see everything automatically/easily to design a part ...
Can it have the main workbenchs to design a part , make an assembly, render and make a tech drawing in it as standard.
All basic ones ( i guess excluding Draft Arch FEM ship .. etc)

If you hate this idea could you allow user to select which workbenchs should be included in complete, ( as far as I can see currently you have to add every command manually)
kind regards
Tansen
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @rapatan.

In FreeCAD 0.17 things changed a bit. For example PartDesign workbench automatic switching was introduced. Therefore for now it isn't possible to for example add PartDesign commands to Complete workbench. And when using them not to change the workbench to PartDesign. Maybe support for something like that will be reintroduced in the future. To support such use case.