Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm If a newbee wants to replace all edges the current workflow is:
No, in this case he removes the whole feature, so delete the fillet/chamfer in the tree and create a new feature.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by adrianinsaval »

that is simple when it's the last feature but what if it isn't?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm No, in this case he removes the whole feature, so delete the fillet/chamfer in the tree and create a new feature.
Is there a certain reason why you stick almost stubborn to your solution as the best possible? I enjoy to repeat it: You work was a phantastic improvement over the previous situation, so don't see the proposal for an improvement as criticism of your work. And I don't expect you to change either. Just leave it, it's good!

Try to see it from the other side: if FreeCAD would have worked in this way, to rebuild fillets
chrisb wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm - select all edges
- remove them with RMB
- add new edges
Would you really have proposed the current solution as an improvement?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm that is simple when it's the last feature but what if it isn't?
Then act as for any feature: set the tip before the feature, then you can remove it and re-add if you like. Finally set the tip to where you need it.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 pm Is there a certain reason why you stick almost stubborn to your solution as the best possible?
Is there a certain reason why you state I act stubborn?

Try to see it from the other side: if FreeCAD would have worked in this way, to rebuild fillets...
This was the case before, leading to errors not understandable by average users: "Filet not possible on selected shapes". Now you get the info that there must at least be one edge left.

And to repeat myself, why is it sensible to remove ALL edges but not the fillet feature? The only case is that toponaming makes problems. But as said, the UI should not be designed to deal better with something that is a bug. So the goal must be that toponaming does not destroy the edge count and I discussed this with realthunder who has a potential solution for toponaming ready. The admins decided that his solution can first be merged after the release of FC 0.19.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am Is there a certain reason why you state I act stubborn?
Well, I said almost; and I admit that it's a personal view. The reason is, that you defend your solution with what I think minor arguments, optimized for people who operate the dialog making errors while not looking at an optimized workflow for the intended use. Since it is possible to have both, I don't see a good reason why not take it both. So this looks rather like a disputing battle, that aiming for the best.
Try to see it from the other side: if FreeCAD would have worked in this way, to rebuild fillets...
This was the case before,
Not true. Deselecting was: click remove button, remove one edge in 3D view, click remove, remove one edge in 3D view ...
leading to errors not understandable by average users: "Filet not possible on selected shapes".

And to repeat myself, why is it sensible to remove ALL edges but not the fillet feature? The only case is that toponaming makes problems.
No, there are other use cases. If the user has filleted the wrong side of his model, why should he remove the whole feature, change the tip, add the fillet again, and change the tip again? That's not better than the current removal procedure. Or some fillets are wrong, some aren't and when looking at the list the user decides that he prefers to make them all new. And there are sure many more use cases which perfectly make sense we cannot imagine yet. Why would you decide how the workflow should be, if the user can opt for a clear workflow which happens to be different?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm The reason is, that you defend your solution
What else do you expect? If I would not be convinced this is the best, I would not have implemented this.

Not true. Deselecting was: click remove button, remove one edge in 3D view, click remove, remove one edge in 3D view ...
Why so complicated? You can also in FC 0.18 select the last edge in the dialog list then press DEL subsequently and all edges will be deleted.

No, there are other use cases. If the user has filleted the wrong side of his model, why should he remove the whole feature,
Then he can still remove all but one edge, add edges and delete the residue edge.
Yes, this might be not the optimal workflow, but what are the costs? This case occurs not often but there is the case that users close the dialog without any edge. This must be avoided. I could have a look again if is is possible to disable then the OK button so that the dialog cannot be closed if the dialog list is empty. I think I tried this already.

However, I see that you are much more familiar with FC and posted already more than 20k posts. So maybe you could give this a try. I mean I started to provide PRs because the only way to improve things annoying me is to act and code.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm
chrisb wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm The reason is, that you defend your solution
What else do you expect? If I would not be convinced this is the best, I would not have implemented this.
I would expect to discuss this without taking arguments out of context.
Why so complicated? You can also in FC 0.18 select the last edge in the dialog list then press DEL subsequently and all edges will be deleted.
I was wrong and you were right. I wasn't aware of this possibility and I apologize!

So maybe you could give this a try.
You are right again. I had already tried to set up a development environment on the Mac - and failed. I will retry when I get my new computer which will be soon.

Thanks for your work on this topic!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't expect you specifically to implement what is asked and I don't think chrisb is expecting that either. Your work is very much appreciated and improved the situation a lot but I don't think is bad to say that there is still room for improvement (there always is). I think we are mostly talking about kind of a wishlist. What would be the preferred workflow if someone were to implement it?
chrisb wrote: the proposed workflow:
- select all edges
- remove them with RMB
- add new edges

If the dialog is confirmed without any edge selected, show a message "You have to select at least one edge" and deny closing the dialog.
I think chrisb's proposal is very good. Time will tell if someone implements this. I would like to do it but I have to learn some c++ and understand how it works in FreeCAD before that. I hope to tackle this and extend the fillet functionality in the future but that will take me time to learn and try so no promises yet.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm
...the case that users close the dialog without any edge. This must be avoided. I could have a look again if is is possible to disable then the OK button so that the dialog cannot be closed if the dialog list is empty. I think I tried this already.
I had a look again and I cannot find a solution: If the dialog contains no selected edges, OCC issues immediately an error. The only solution would be to disable in this case the Apply button of the dialog. Since I don't know how this can be achieved, I cannot implement what you want.