Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

ickby wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 am
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am Could you push the rebase to your github repo?
Thats already done. It is not the newest master I rebased to, but should be trival to do it again
Also would you consider bullet pointing what would need to be done to get it working on Qt5?
Hm thats quite a lot and takes time, so I would prever to do this only if someone is willing to work on this.
Hey @ickby I created a wiki page about this idea: Ickbys_Frameless_UI
I was hoping that if you could bulletpoint it that it might inspire someone to make it happen. I know it takes some time... but it may pay off. Thoughts?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Joyas

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

Post by Joyas »

Good work, but I prefer the current interface, I don't like to "have windows and things over my workspace". :cry:
It should be optional.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

ickby wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 am
@ickby in your layout branch there are a few places in the code that reference paths on you local machine, for example:
In src/Gui/DynamicInterfaceManager.cpp

Code: Select all

//create the component and set the view proxy
    QDeclarativeComponent* component = new QDeclarativeComponent(m_view->engine(), 
                                    QString::fromAscii("/home/stefan/Projects/FreeCAD_sf_master/src/Gui/Qml/InterfaceProxyItem.qml"));
    QDeclarativeItem* item = qobject_cast<QDeclarativeItem*>(component->create());
we see /home/stefan/Projects/FreeCAD_sf_master/src/Gui/Qml/InterfaceProxyItem.qml

What does that need to change to to run correctly on any one else's system ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

moved to ux/ui
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

The fast way is to change it to the local path on your system. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how to handle those extra files, maybe like python files anf copy them to the freecad dirs Düring compilation... But it would be more involved to implement this correctly. I never did it as for a proof of concept this was enough.

Anyway, I don't think the code would compile anymore.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm bumping this thread out of the hope that with all the influx of traffic to the site, that someone or some organization will take a stab at making this proof of concept a real thing.

You may say I'm a dreamer....but I'm not the only one
-John Lennon
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm I'm bumping this thread out of the hope that with all the influx of traffic to the site, that someone or some organization will take a stab at making this proof of concept a real thing.

You may say I'm a dreamer....but I'm not the only one
-John Lennon
+1
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
antoniovazquezblanco

Post by antoniovazquezblanco »

Maybe a more detailed list of tasks to be implemented could be made so that this can be implemented progresively.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

antoniovazquezblanco wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm Maybe a more detailed list of tasks to be implemented could be made so that this can be implemented progresively.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 89#p203131
@ickby will only do this if there is a serious dev that wants to implement this.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Yes, I can provide some guiding for anyone who wants to tackle this. But first I want to see a commitment, than I put in work.

by the way, the code is to be found here: https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_mas ... its/layout