Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

Post by Kunda1 »

polymer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:21 pm They should. So many unnecessary stuff is going on in the FreeCAD community, so many things go in a wrong direction and this topic is dying...
Let now 'should' on each other, aye? ;)
Unnecessary is a pretty subjective term. Unnecessary to you, interesting and necessary enough to a developer who decides to codes it.

FreeCAD is patient and doesn't mind in regards to market share or trendy shiniest new thingies. It's done when't it's done.

So we keep bumping until someone gets captivated enough, again 8-)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Bumpity-bump
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Yeah, bumpy/bump. Seems that there are no developers anymore for the UI of the FreeCAD, and if FreeCAD needs something is an usable interface.

Maybe will be a good idea that all the developers to take a break from developing fancy new tools and focus a little bit on creating a working interface!

Something similar has happened with Blender. After being criticised for years that Blender have the most unintuitive interface between all the 3D softwares, the developers focused more on UI until they finally fixed with the release of Blender 2.8.

Developers, please just take a look on how other CAD softwares are working and pick one of them, whatever you wish because all of them have a much better interface, and just copy! I used a lot of different CAD and CAM softwares over the years, but FreeCAD have the worst interface of them all! It is just frustrating that not even basic tools can't be found without the need to switch between a gazillion of freaky "workbenches". Any developer wants to develop his own "workbench". No other software have useless "workbenches" and frankly I don't have an elephant memory to remember which tool is in which workbench. Just unite all this useless "workbenches" into a single usable one and make a great interface.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Par example, any other CAD software know how to properly use a mouse, ofering a lot of options for customisation and even some of them having an option to launch commands using one of the mouse buttons. In freeCAD the only option you have is that the right mouse button it is offering a popup menu for choosing "Navigation style"! Com-on, it is this a joke! The options from this popup needs to be into the setting and the RMB to be used for something else more useful and productive. Like this one Image

or like this one:

or like this one:

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2016/ ... rtcut-bar/

or like this:

http://deelip.com/alibre-design-2012-new-user-interface

for example. And list can go on and on, because all the other CAD softwares have an usable pop-up menu for the mouse. FreeCAD being the exception.

IMHO seems that the developers of the FreeCAD are living into a bubble and never-ever touched a single other piece of CAD software in their lives besides FreeCAD. Other explanation, frankly I don't have how they can use this unusable piece of software!

Sorry if I am harsh, but over the years I tried a lot of times to pick-up FreeCAD and I just can't because of the interface, and my frustration is on the roof. And unfortunately in so manny years absolutely nothing changed regarding the interface.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm Sorry if I am harsh
That's no problem, we stay relaxed and wait for your pull request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Hello zohozer, also if you are not a developer, you can take some time to explain with more precision your proposal, which workbench you'd like to be improved (or also what should be contained in what you call a unique workbench), and which workflow you are used to. Unless you do that, your right complaint will stay unlistened.
I also founded workbenches strange at the beginning, but now I found they are - also if often inconsistent - a really easy and powerful way to speed up development of this software.
Cheers
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Ok, I will come with a proposal in this weekend. Cheers.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

1518914008393s.jpg
1518914008393s.jpg (2.48 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

How many people are interested in a GUI like this? My mission is to make FreeCAD the default CAD Software for Startups and small companies.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen