I can successfully build the standard freecad/freecad source hosted on github, ie. the master branch on macos using dependencies provided by brew, but run the cmake, make, make install process without the dependency of a formula file thus allowing for more flexibility of specifying compilers, sdks, install paths and what not. I ended building the realthunder branch yesterday which was giving me some issues
, but have since resolved. i haven't even begun to experiment explore the settings provided by the realthunder fork but look forward to seeing what it offers as i've seen several of the youtube videos showing of the features of the fork.
as for ickby
's experimental branch all i have done is setup the remote for my fork of freecad, cloned the fork, and created some local branches, but haven't even attempted to build it yet. i know it relies on qt 4.7.x or above as that's when qt introduced qml, but other than that i haven't done anything else with it. when i get some more time i'll go about setting up the dependencies ie qt 4.x which i'll have to install for my version of macos, which i am sure won't be the most straight forward install. and may rely on getting the python 2.x dependencies rolling if the fork relies on those as well. so,
1. get the current fork/branch (ickby's qml) built with little modifications if any using the dated dependencies
2. make necessary mods to see if fork can use newer deps, possibly use qt5 and or python 3
3. begin to make sense of the bookmarks i've made exploring adding QML to an existing qt widget based app learn more
i hope that gives you an understanding of where i'm at, i think i bookmarked / added a lot of useful links to my freecad notes related to qt, qt widgets and qml, (i just got spend time going through them and pick out the useful bits) hopefully something tangible from them will bubble up sooner than later.
a few other things i'd like to get done related but not so related
- explore experiment with creating a standalone macos app bundle of freecad using native cmake tooling
> it'd be nice to have a standalone app bundle with all the dependencies built into the bundle thus not relying on my system deps during runtime, thus making using freecad a little less brittle, (homebrew updates deps at a rapid rate, which can make things stop working rather abruptly)
- i started working on a userscript for autoloading the next page of forum threads because clicking the little next page button really breaks the flow of reading multipage threads, and clicking back and forward is not the best, so i'd like to complete that userscript sooner than
- i got the observable setup and the xhr ajax request going and loading next pages going, but need to wire up the xhr request to fire with the observable is triggered, and possible add some sytling to signify the page ie. how duckduckgo handles loading the next page of results.
- i also didn't setup an observable or xhr request for loading prior posts within a thread so if you start at say page 3 of a 10 page thread because you did a search or clicked a link that references a post within a thread and you want to scroll back through the thread history, it'd be nice to use the same technique to load prior posts within a thread.
- basically it's really close to complete but kindof got distracted / juggling other things AFK and and IFK, just need to block off some time and complete it, ie. sooner than later. if your interested in what i was working on, you can check it out here