Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by ickby »

Oh was there a thread about that already? :oops: sorry for that, I really did not remember. I will use those icons, they are nice, thanks!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm Here you have a Part icon I designed time ago by your request... I see you skipped my answer :?
partdesign_part.png
I like the Part Icon and the concept that Part is a structured object, more complex than a simple cube.
I think it is just the perfect fit for Step hierarchy :)

Maurice
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ickby wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:17 pm Oh was there a thread about that already? :oops: sorry for that, I really did not remember. I will use those icons, they are nice, thanks!
+1

P.S. Due to the fact @agryson and @pablogil did a good job back then. If i remember correctly there was a lot of feedback and things like that involved. And this is not seen often but not one but two designers working on the same effort simultaneously! Exactly the opposite situation compared to the usual procedure. Where everybody works alone and good luck with getting any consensus after. ;)
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm Here you have a Part icon I designed
It is a little inconsistent with other part design icons...it has a shadow. ;)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

The truth is that I always understood Part as the result of different 3D shape/volumes commands to obtain an object/part so it had sense to me to design a "complex but not much" volume which at the same time is not a primitive and which could be represented (and recognised) easily in a small icon...

So, if finally a Part is not a part, what is it and how could I approach the concept in order to design an icon to represent it?

EDIT: looking again at other references like Inventor or Solidworks I don't like Inventor's which is just a cube and Solidworks works for me, but it again follows my idea of what a part is but not yours...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

pablogil wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:08 pm So, if finally a Part is not a part, what is it and how could I approach the concept in order to design an icon to represent it?
Technically a Part is just a group of geometric objects. It can be "part" (a component of something), or an assembly of parts, or neither - e.g. just a moveable group of 2d objects. So the answer to "what is it" is "it is what you use it for" ;) I think your icon is alright because it represents the two common use cases reasonably well (a component and an assembly).
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Here you have other options following the same "simple" idea:
Part_v02.png
Part_v02.png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Part_v03.png
Part_v03.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Part_v04.png
Part_v04.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Source files of the new designs
Attachments
Part_v04.svg
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Part_v03.svg
(9.35 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Part_v02.svg
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

pablogil wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:08 pm The truth is that I always understood Part as the result of different 3D shape/volumes commands to obtain an object/part
Yes, but the Part is a container that is introduced in PartDesignNext, elements in it are not fused but grouped together like a compound.
pablogil wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:08 pm EDIT: looking again at other references like Inventor or Solidworks I don't like Inventor's which is just a cube and Solidworks works for me, but it again follows my idea of what a part is but not yours...
Are you referring to my links? The Inventor image only shows a single part (notice the .ipt file extension of the first item in the tree: IPT = Inventor part.) Thus this yellow cube actually corresponds to a Body, which is a single solid part.

As for Solidworks, the podium-shaped pure yellow icon is for a single solid part (in other words a PartDesign Body), and the one with the added blue cube is for an assembly, which does not exist yet in FreeCAD but could correspond to the PartDesign Part container. And ickby did mention in another topic that the Part container will be the basis for a future Assembly container.
peterl94 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am I think your icon is alright because it represents the two common use cases reasonably well (a component and an assembly).
I disagree, because it looks like a single solid, hence it would actually be more suited for the Body.

In pablogil's last proposals, the first (part_v03) and third (Part_v04) of the three better represent what a Part container is: an assembly or single part consisting of multiple components.

In short:
Image could be an alternative icon for PartDesign Body (it's simpler, it might display better in the tree?)

Image or Image would be a good proposal for a PartDesign Part container icon.

As for the colour scheme, I don't know. Isn't yellow reserved for PartDesign additive features? Wouldn't it be best be in blue?
Last edited by NormandC on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

@pablogil

Look at this other screen capture of Inventor that shows an assembly containing parts and sub-assemblies: http://getintopc.com/wp-content/uploads ... wnload.jpg

This is an assembly in Solid Edge: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... idedge.jpg
asm is an assembly file, par is a part (body) file.