Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Icons for Part and Group

Post by ickby »

Hello Graphic-Wizards,

I'm looking for icons for the 0.17 Part as well as for the normal Group, both use the same one currently. It is the system Icon for a folder, so it looks totally different on every system, but a folder does imho not represent the function of the Part very well. A folder is appropriate for the normal Group, so this would in general fit. However, the icon is not usable for the toolbar button. I think there must be a resemblance between tool button and tree objects, and as I want to introduce a toolbar button for group too it must be a normal icon.

So if anyone could make two nice icon I would be glad and thankful :)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by DeepSOIC »

46216.png
46216.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

This one I use in Part-o-magic, feel free to use if it fits
And as for Group icon, IMO the folder one does it quite well.
Attachments
PartOMagic_ShapeGroup.png
PartOMagic_ShapeGroup.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:34 pm And as for Group icon, IMO the folder one does it quite well.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

thanks for the icons. I like the part one and think I will use it. For group the folder is fine in general, however, currently it is the system icon. Hence it cant be used for the toolbar button. Therefore i would like a freecad style icon that can be used in the tree and the button.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think you should be able to use the system folder icon as a toolbar icon,no? It's easy to obtain it as a QPixmap I think... Maybe childish, but personally I like having "folders" in the tree :)

What about joining the folder icon with a part icon, for App Part? That can be done with Qt code, so it can use the system folder icon too. Something like this:
app-folder.png
app-folder.png (3 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Attachments
app-folder.svg
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Here you have a Part icon I designed time ago by your request... I see you skipped my answer :?
partdesign_part.png
partdesign_part.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
For groups, I also like the idea of having the "folder" one, but if you prefer to unify OSs then I can design it.

BTW, if you skipped my answer you also skipped the other icons @agryson and me designed for axis and planes. I have attached them to this post in case you also skipped them ;)
Attachments
axis and planes.zip
(35.95 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Part.svg
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm Here you have a Part icon I designed time ago by your request...
This icon does not represent what the Part container is for. It may be counter-intuitive, but Part is more an assembly than a single part. Part can contain multiple objects including bodies, Part objects, Arch objects, 2D geometry, almost anything.
pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pmBTW, if you skipped my answer you also skipped the other icons @agryson and me designed for axis and planes.
Why did you go with such a "flat" projection? An axonometric projection would better convey the 3 dimensions...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

For those who wonder what the axes & planes icons look like:
FC_pablogil_axes_and_planes_01.png
FC_pablogil_axes_and_planes_01.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
I don't understand why the X axis is pointing to the lower left while the Y axis is pointing to the right. It is very confusing because that's not how they are placed in FreeCAD.

Have a look at the axis cross from FreeCAD's 3D view when the view is set to axonometric:
FC_axis_cross_01.png
FC_axis_cross_01.png (706 Bytes) Viewed 3559 times
NormandC wrote:Why did you go with such a "flat" projection?
EDIT: I just noticed that's how the existing "Origin" icon looks like. Sorry! I wonder where it can be found in the source code?
Last edited by NormandC on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Mods, maybe the plane/axis icon discussion should be split off into a separate topic?

I was curious to see what the big commercial CAD packages do for origin/plane/axis icons.

Turns out they have a single plane icon and a single axis icon (some don't show axes). Inventor regroups them under an Origin group, it's a folder icon.

Catia: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/OxX3sOzKROE/maxresdefault.jpg
Autodesk Inventor: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dilWO1xSr3Y/maxresdefault.jpg
Solidworks: http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksb ... 44x700.png
PTC Creo: http://www.inneo.co.uk/fileadmin/inneo/ ... tmetal.png
Solid Edge (really old capture): http://www.kisssoft.ch/english/products ... creen2.gif

My question: do we really need separate icons for each of the standard axes and planes? For planes, why not just show a slanted square, like most CAD programs do?

Something simple like this:
PartDesign_Std_Plane_nc1.png
PartDesign_Std_Plane_nc1.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
After all, there is a single icon for datum plane.

For the Axis, not sure... A slanted line does not tell much. Maybe if it's contained in a greyed out plane?
PartDesign_Std_Axis_nc1.png
PartDesign_Std_Axis_nc1.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Just throwing things out there. I've never been much of an icon designer. ;)
Attachments
PartDesign_Std_Axis_nc1.svg
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
PartDesign_Std_Plane_nc1.svg
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 156 times