Moderator: agryson

Kunda1

Re: Changing phrasing of "Copy to clipboard" in Help > About FreeCAD

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am

chrisb wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 am
Kunda1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 am
The GIMP dev version puts the git hash on the canvas directly which is a nice timesaver for devs, testers, packagers etc... Perhaps for dev versions we can do something similar to this?
I don't understand: we have the hash already, as shown in your last post here??
Sorry, I recognize this further digresses the thread but I'll respond
several responses to this:
1) it would save time clicking Help>About FreeCAD>Copy to clipboard (immediate recognition = timesaving)
2) we could put more than just the hash but other info as well for immediate recognition.
3) it would raise awareness about what the development version is and be another visual que for folks to keep their versions up-to-date with HEAD
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am
Sorry, I recognize this further digresses the thread but I'll respond
It's all related.

I think kkremitzki's idea is a good on and adds instant improvement.

My idea is more relevant for the 0.18 dev cycle. We're going to be transitioning from QT4>QT5, PY2>PY3, and as always OCC 7.1>OCC7.1+.
That's going to be quite a matrix and it's not going to happen overnight. The time line will probably be different for the different OS's. We already see this with QT. OSX needs QT5 to solve some nasty bugs, Debian/Ubuntu will soon need it to due to dropped QT4 support, Windows needs PY3 to align with the Python universe.
Kunda1 wrote:
1) it would save time clicking Help>About FreeCAD>Copy to clipboard (immediate recognition = timesaving)
There is sorta this info in the "Start WB" it reports up to date if the version is newer than the latest stable release. Maybe it makes sense if the the version is newer than the latest stable release but older than HEAD it could be reported as an "out of date" developer version? Yorik maintains this and it seems more of a luxury to me. Easier may lead to users reporting even less information.
Kunda1 wrote:
2) we could put more than just the hash but other info as well for immediate recognition.
In the Start WB it reports the version, this is probably better for users, a higher number is a newer version, the hash is great for the developers and packagers because it's faster to get to it from git.
Kunda1 wrote:
3) it would raise awareness about what the development version is and be another visual que for folks to keep their versions up-to-date with HEAD
Only OSX builds/packages automatically with every push to master. With my recent availability the "Daily" builds are only happening 2-3 times a week. It would be a problem to constantly tell users their version is out of date if we don't provide a more up to date version. I know how to fix this on win with AppVeyor and hope to implement this during the 0.18 cycle, on the PPA I have no clue, which also impacts the AppImage.

TLDR: kkremitzki's idea should be implemented and we can work pn further improvements in the future.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 am

sgrogan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am
Would it be possible to resize/redesign the window to show all the info?
That would be my preference. And while we're at it: let's not complicate the label of this button further! Many users (those who are not computer geeks or long-standing Apple users!) have no idea what a "clipboard" is!

Look at what the LibreCAD guys do:
LibreCAD-dev_About.png
LibreCAD-dev_About.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 405 times
It's not "Copy to clipboard", it's "Copy", that's it! But I would be willing to compromise on "Copy info".

So I'd propose to show all the info that is copied, and streamline the button's label.
Kunda1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 am
The GIMP dev version puts the git hash on the canvas directly which is a nice timesaver for devs, testers, packagers etc...
But is it selectable to copy? FreeCAD has no "canvas". Where do you propose to put this exactly? And do you propose it for the regular release as well?
sgrogan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm
TLDR:
A tl;dr notice placed at the bottom of a lengthy post kind of defeats its purpose. :P :mrgreen:
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:13 am

NormandC wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 am
It's not "Copy to clipboard", it's "Copy", that's it! But I would be willing to compromise on "Copy info".
When I joined the forum I was very pleased to have this button label. It said clearly what it was doing. Since the usage of this button is solely to copy the info to the forum I would go the other way: Let's write on the button or on a label something like:
"Copy info for forum posts" (Button) or "You should copy this FreeCAD info to show your version in forum posts" (Label).
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm

NormandC wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 am
A tl;dr notice placed at the bottom of a lengthy post kind of defeats its purpose. :P :mrgreen:
Fair enough. Usually after a stream of consciousness post. It maybe should be labeled as a conclusion.
I don't think users know that the "Copy" copies more information than is visible, and because copy/paste can't be used users resort to a screen shot. The errors shoen when running the self tests had a similar problem. wmayer added a "Details" button, that opens a window that is copy/paste able. This would work for me but may still be obtuse to an average user.
chrisb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:13 am
Since the usage of this button is solely to copy the info to the forum I would go the other way:
Actually it's for bug reporting. FreeCAD happens to triage bugs in the Forum.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Since there is a high likelihood of https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25346 occurring which will make the About dialog more verbose, I think we can make the buton say anything we want. Summarized or verbose.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features