[proposal] Quick selection of objects inside group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Eneen

[proposal] Quick selection of objects inside group

Post by Eneen »

It would greatly speed up selecting when lots of objects are inside project.
Some possible options:
1. "Select sub-objects" submenu
This is universal, no conflicts so can be added anytime
2. Ctrl + click
This is from blender. Blender GUI always treat ctrl+click as "rename" but ctrl+click on ICON only causes sub-objects selection and it works nice.
3. Double click
Currently it enters objects' properties and renames group. As F2 is man shortcut for rename maybe double click can be used for group selection.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [proposal] Quick selection of objects inside group

Post by chrisb »

Eneen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 am It would greatly speed up selecting when lots of objects are inside project.
Some possible options:
2. Ctrl + click
This is from blender. Blender GUI always treat ctrl+click as "rename" but ctrl+click on ICON only causes sub-objects selection and it works nice.
3. Double click
Currently it enters objects' properties and renames group. As F2 is man shortcut for rename maybe double click can be used for group selection.
ad 2.: It might depend on the mouse model, but Ctrl+click is common to add something to an existing selection. It is common behaviour beyond FreeCAD and can be seen as standard GUI behaviour. So use rather Ctrl+Shift+click or something else.
ad 3.: Double click opens very naturally to me the special editing panels for different objects, e.g. the sketcher for sketches, the operation properties for Path elements and so on. I wouldn't be happy loosing this, because I use it much more often than selecting subelements. If there is no special editing mode the transformation tool is activated.

Finally: What is the use case where you need this often? Do you want to select all visible elements or all elements? This affects point 1. above as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm
Eneen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 am It would greatly speed up selecting when lots of objects are inside project.
Some possible options:
2. Ctrl + click
3. Double click
ad 2.: It might depend on the mouse model, but Ctrl+click is common to add something to an existing selection. It is common behaviour beyond FreeCAD and can be seen as standard GUI behaviour. So use rather Ctrl+Shift+click or something else.
ad 3.: Double click opens very naturally to me the special editing panels for different objects, e.g. the sketcher for sketches, the operation properties for Path elements and so on. I wouldn't be happy loosing this, because I use it much more often than selecting subelements. If there is no special editing mode the transformation tool is activated.

Finally: What is the use case where you need this often? Do you want to select all visible elements or all elements? This affects point 1. above as well.
ad. 2. I agree. And ctrl+shift selects additional group of objects, adds to selection. And they both work same for icon and and so this is no-go
ad. 3. Indeed, subelements can have element as parent and this should be universal like F2 for rename. So maybe ctrl+double?

FreeCAD doesn't have layers as ArchiCAD does that usually control visibility. When arch project "gets crowded" with objects you have to control visibility to find what you want. There can be groups for site, site elements, terrain, windows, doors, external walls, internal walls, furniture, 2D sketches, symbols, panels... Depends on project tree design. All visible/all doesn't fit at all. Take a look @ this how many elements small arch project can have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2YpBDlEfJA
Now you can imagine how many objects can have something like 50-stories office building.

Of course you can control visibility by turning group on and off, but you can't easely select all walls to make them transparent or change height.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I understand that in Arch this would be a sensible extension. Using Ctrl+Dblclick sounds like a natural enforcement to Ctrl+Click, easy to remember too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

There is a tool for it. In menu Draft->Utilities->Select Group. You can bind a shortcut for it.