Toolbar style

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Toolbar style

Post by triplus »

Styles.png
Styles.png (24.12 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
There was and is some demand for such functionality. To be made available in FreeCAD. As all the pieces are already available in modules such as TabBar/CommandPanel/SelectorToolbar. I decided to reuse that and to provide such functionality in ToolbarStyle module.

Code repository:
https://github.com/triplus/ToolbarStyle
microelly2
Veteran

Re: Toolbar style

Post by microelly2 »

Nice feature.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1
IMHO, could be added to core.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks.

P.S. Upstreaming could happen at some point in the future. In FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle likely most/all of the modules i am working on will mature. After that happens such evaluations can be made.
the_document

Post by the_document »

This is a great changeset for freecad. It will greatly improve usability I just hope these options will be available for default toolbar workbenches.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

the_document wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 am This is a great changeset for freecad. It will greatly improve usability I just hope these options will be available for default toolbar workbenches.
Hi @the_document. You can already use the toolbar style module and the options it provides (as seen on the image). The inclusion in Addon manager is currently pending but you can still manually download the ZIP package (green Clone or download button) and after install it. Extract the downloaded ZIP archive and put it in appropriate location (look at the installation instructions for correct install path):

P.S. Restart FreeCAD and look under Tools -> Accessories -> Toolbar style. To set the desired toolbar style mode.
the_document

Post by the_document »

triplus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 pm
the_document wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 am This is a great changeset for freecad. It will greatly improve usability I just hope these options will be available for default toolbar workbenches.
Hi @the_document. You can already use the toolbar style module and the options it provides (as seen on the image). The inclusion in Addon manager is currently pending but you can still manually download the ZIP package (green Clone or download button) and after install it. Extract the downloaded ZIP archive and put it in appropriate location (look at the installation instructions for correct install path):

P.S. Restart FreeCAD and look under Tools -> Accessories -> Toolbar style. To set the desired toolbar style mode.
I was hoping default workbenches would be configurable same as the toolbar you posted. I hope the devs implement it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i understand you correctly. You are happy with the functionality toolbar style module provides. Well i guess good to hear that. But the issue you are experiencing is you would like to have it provided by default? As said earlier in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle i plan to finish FreeCAD related modules i am working on. And therefore all is possible after that happens. Including upstreaming.
the_document

Post by the_document »

triplus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:19 am If i understand you correctly. You are happy with the functionality toolbar style module provides. Well i guess good to hear that. But the issue you are experiencing is you would like to have it provided by default? As said earlier in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle i plan to finish FreeCAD related modules i am working on. And therefore all is possible after that happens. Including upstreaming.
That would be correct and I am very glad to hear plans for incorporating toolbar styles into mainline software. Wonder when official freecad assembly development will resume, anotherwords not an addon as far as I understand it a disruptive changeset has landed in part design permitting assembly to be developed.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

the_document wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am That would be correct and I am very glad to hear plans for incorporating toolbar styles into mainline software.
Good to hear that.
Wonder when official freecad assembly development will resume, anotherwords not an addon as far as I understand it a disruptive changeset has landed in part design permitting assembly to be developed.
Upstream assembly capability will likely happen in next two to three years.