OK and CANCEL buttons

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

Shlomo

OK and CANCEL buttons

Postby Shlomo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I think those buttons are better when they are at the bottom of the window/form and not at the top. The reason is that when you fill the fields of an open window and select things, you scroll down. If those buttons are at top (as they are now), you need to re-scroll to top to OK or CANCEL. This is not so intuitive I think.
yorik
Site Admin

Re: OK and CANCEL buttons

Postby yorik » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Ideally (being top or bottom, that could actually be a user option) they should stay visible even when scrolling away...
I'll look at that after the release.
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm

yorik wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 pm
Ideally (being top or bottom, that could actually be a user option) they should stay visible even when scrolling away...
I'll look at that after the release.
Also ideally, they should all be at the top or all be at the bottom!
efyx

Postby efyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

The most ideally, this would be under RMB for each operation. Why to move each time to end of screen?
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Likely this is use case dependent. For example entering Sketcher edit mode. A lot of times you don't use the features form Tasks panel at all. Moving the buttons to the bottom could i guess result in more scrolling action needed.
Shlomo

Postby Shlomo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm

In all CAD software (in fact in all applications of any type), the OK/CANCEL buttons are at the bottom of the form. The logic in my opinion is trivial. Normally you start filling the form from top, select things, and advance to the bottom of the form and finally click OK or CANCEL. I cannot see the logic that these buttons to be on top?
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Shlomo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm
In all CAD software (in fact in all applications of any type), the OK/CANCEL buttons are at the bottom of the form.
Not necessarily. It only took me a few seconds to find some reference:
Sample.png
Sample.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 929 times
http://help.solidworks.com/2016/english ... _panel.htm

Don't read this as i agree or disagree with your proposal. I just evaluated your proposal and shared my opinion. In reality we use mixed approach anyway. Therefore i guess individual developer decides in the end. What makes the most sense for specific use case. And as said earlier. If in Sketcher edit mode the buttons in the Tasks panel would be moved to the end. Generally speaking likely more scroll action needed would be the result. In addition new users would likely need more time to figure out on how to close the activated Tasks panel.
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Shlomo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm
I cannot see the logic that these buttons to be on top?
It happens often that I decide to cancel an window operation before doing anything. In that case it is convenient to have the CANCEL button in plain view from the beginning.

There is no disputing personal taste, but you will have a hard time convincing people that your approach is logically better or will lead to higher productivity.

Gene
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Definitely the best way will be a preference setting to let each users decide for themselves ;)
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

yorik wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm
Definitely the best way will be a preference setting to let each users decide for themselves ;)
The key is to not make it scroll, as you've pointed out.

I popular mid-level commercial package that I use at work, ALWAYS has these buttons on top, if an incorrect selection was made before the dialog was activated only the cancel button is available (with a nice error message). And the buttons are available in the right-click context menu when the focus is in the 3-D space (not when in the dialog)

IMHO:
+1 to @wandererfan, consistency breads intuitiveness.
+1 +1 to @yorik, you should not have to search for the important stuff.