Another panel

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
a3bksll47

Re: Another panel

Post by a3bksll47 »

polymer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:21 pm Wouldn’t be shortcuts better than typing commands?
Probably both.

On the one hand, there's a collection of Workbenches, the shortcuts of which aren't (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) usable unless their affiliated tools are visible onscreen in a Workbench bar. (Moreover, at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p227890, in answer to a related question I had: "It also seems that Shortcuts will step on other shortcuts. For example Sketch uses "R" for rectangle and Draft uses "R,E" as soon as you use the shortcut in Sketcher the Draft shortcut is not available until the Draft Rectangle is invoked a second time. that some of these shortcut key commands overlap.")

On the other, there's a lot to be said for an intuitive set of line commands that mimic simply just the names of primitives, and actions on them (followed by values as their respective contexts demand)--instead of having to memorize single-key sequences. There's a Python window which I predict nobody is going to want to complicate with additional function definitions dedicated to that reduced command set.

Would I like to see a reworking of the single char shortcut sequences so that none overlap--combined with not having to have toolbars displayed as a prerequisite for using the shortcuts? Yeah, that too.

When I get some time, I'd like to install triplus's Launcher.

Still this is a really useful program. All my CAD is on this now.
Last edited by a3bksll47 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a3bksll47

Post by a3bksll47 »

a3bksll47 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 pm
polymer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:21 pm Wouldn’t be shortcuts better than typing commands?
Probably both.

On the one hand, there's a collection of Workbenches, the shortcuts of which aren't (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) usable unless their affiliated tools are visible onscreen in a Workbench bar. (Moreover, at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p227890, in answer to a related question I had: "It also seems that Shortcuts will step on other shortcuts. For example Sketch uses "R" for rectangle and Draft uses "R,E" as soon as you use the shortcut in Sketcher the Draft shortcut is not available until the Draft Rectangle is invoked a second time. that some of these shortcut key commands overlap.")

On the other, there's a lot to be said for an intuitive set of line commands that mimic simply just the names of primitives, and actions on them (followed by values as their respective contexts demand)--instead of having to memorize single-key sequences. There's a Python window which I predict nobody is going to want to complicate with additional function definitions dedicated to that reduced command set.

Would I like to see a reworking of the single char shortcut sequences so that none overlap--combined with not having to have toolbars displayed as a prerequisite for using the shortcuts? Yeah that too.

When I get some time, I'd like to install triplus's Launcher.

Still this is a really useful program. All my CAD is on this now.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

a3bksll47 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 pm On the one hand, there's a collection of Workbenches, the shortcuts of which aren't (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) usable unless their affiliated tools are visible onscreen in a Workbench bar.
Workbench needs to be loaded first. That is correct yes. After the command is available regardless of the workbench you are currently in. If you want you can use Autoload module to load workbenches (commands) you frequently use on FreeCAD start:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22976
"It also seems that Shortcuts will step on other shortcuts. For example Sketch uses "R" for rectangle and Draft uses "R,E" as soon as you use the shortcut in Sketcher the Draft shortcut is not available until the Draft Rectangle is invoked a second time. that some of these shortcut key commands overlap.
Correct. Things should improve in the future. ATM you could use ShorCuts module and its invoke key feature:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=15638

P.S. In not that distant future (per workbench) direct keyboard shortcuts customization support will be added (ShortCuts module).