FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AR795

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 am
Nice. Could you do one with less detail as seen here:
And attach the SVG in 64x64 size.
Something like this?
Attachments
freecad_logo_8_1.png
freecad_logo_8_1.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
freecad_logo_8_1.svg
(25.87 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Daily.png
Daily.png (39.33 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
I manually created a launcher to test it. The size is a bit bigger but as for the rest. Both from the artistic side of it and the details you used work for me. I could see your proposal as a suitable logo to represent FreeCAD development releases.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm Daily.png

I manually created a launcher to test it. The size is a bit bigger but as for the rest. Both from the artistic side of it and the details you used work for me. I could see your proposal as a suitable logo to represent FreeCAD development releases.
Frankly, I think the colors don't blend well with a dark background. I will tweak them further to create more contrast.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 am Frankly, I think the colors don't blend well with a dark background. I will tweak them further to create more contrast.
Nah. ;)

P.S. But sure if you feel you can improve it go ahead.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Experimenting with pattern colors and this one hopefully handles dark and light backgrounds better. I hadn't experimented with shadow before but it can be quite useful to increase the contrast between background and icon especially when the background is a lighter shade of grey. Something new I learned today. I have included some results of the tests I had done.
Attachments
freecad_logo_8_1_2.png
freecad_logo_8_1_2.png (191.63 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
freecad_logo_8_1_1.svg
(26.64 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
freecad_logo_8_1_1.png
freecad_logo_8_1_1.png (10.27 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I can see the improvements. Overall quality is becoming great. The one with the shadow i guess works the best. One consideration (that might or might not play a role) is the current logo(s) don't use the shadow.

P.S. As far as i am concerned if we would use your proposal for development builds or/and FreeCAD 0.18 builds. That would work for me. It adds more visual appeal and the version differentiation factor (both properties frequently requested) but doesn't change things (geometry). Hopefully others will recognize the importance and value of your work and give you some credit and recognition. And we can take it from there.
regis

Post by regis »

bejant wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 am
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
I like the idea of using different colors for the Dev / Daily versions, especially these particular color choices! Turquoise relates to View and yellow tones relate to creating new things, so I see the logo as a statement that we are looking at something new:
20180615d.png

So +1 from me.
I'm also sold on this for the Freecad-Daily
Freecad-daily.svg
(11.2 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

AR795 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 am Experimenting with pattern colors and this one hopefully handles dark and light backgrounds better. I hadn't experimented with shadow before but it can be quite useful to increase the contrast between background and icon especially when the background is a lighter shade of grey. Something new I learned today. I have included some results of the tests I had done.
I like this a lot as well, however I do have one suggestion. The scale of the triangles for the 'F' is good as they are aligned now, but for the gear, they triangle pattern is not symmetric to the gear. Would it be possible to shift/scale the pattern as needed for that to be aligned?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:15 pm I can see the improvements. Overall quality is becoming great. The one with the shadow i guess works the best. One consideration (that might or might not play a role) is the current logo(s) don't use the shadow.

P.S. As far as i am concerned if we would use your proposal for development builds or/and FreeCAD 0.18 builds. That would work for me. It adds more visual appeal and the version differentiation factor (both properties frequently requested) but doesn't change things (geometry). Hopefully others will recognize the importance and value of your work and give you some credit and recognition. And we can take it from there.
No problem. Thanks.
regis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 am
bejant wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 am
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
I like the idea of using different colors for the Dev / Daily versions, especially these particular color choices! Turquoise relates to View and yellow tones relate to creating new things, so I see the logo as a statement that we are looking at something new:
20180615d.png

So +1 from me.
I'm also sold on this for the Freecad-Daily
Turquoise and yellow colors also provide good contrast, easier to distinguish from the background.
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am
I like this a lot as well, however I do have one suggestion. The scale of the triangles for the 'F' is good as they are aligned now, but for the gear, they triangle pattern is not symmetric to the gear. Would it be possible to shift/scale the pattern as needed for that to be aligned?
I was thinking about this myself. The pattern I used contains right angled regular triangles and it works well with straight edges, using it for circular shapes is more trickier. Moreover the gear in the logo is slightly rotated and I didn't want to rotate the pattern as it would not match with the pattern lines with the letter 'F'. So to solve this problem, I have removed the rotation from the gear and tried to align the pattern with it more closely.
Attachments
freecad_logo_8_1_2.svg
(30.45 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
freecad_logo_8_1_2.png
freecad_logo_8_1_2.png (9.74 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I think there are two problems:

1. @agryson updated all the icons to conform to the Tango guidelines, and that gave them all a consistent look. This one doesn't conform - see the icons and the guidelines (scroll to bottom for guidelines) on the Artwork page:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Artwork

yorik wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm The problem of this logo, IMHO, is that it suggests it's mesh geometry (triangles). But one of the main characteristics of FreeCAD, is that it's brep-based, and not mesh-based (although meshes are also supported and handled)

Tell me, what do the triangles symbolize?