FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by bejant »

easyw-fc wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm I noticed that many users, me included, are appreciating the actual FC logo for its simplicity and its direct connection with FC world.
I agree so much on that
"FreeCAD" stands for something and the current logo speaks for it self.
At the same time I considered that it would be useful to distinguish a stable release between a daily build, as in other sw it is done.
Then it came my FC Logo rework; it is not a new design but just a rearrangement on color scheme (never said something different).
But the rework colors are fully harmonized with the FC palette (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork#Colors) and the result is an immediate feedback of what the user is going to use.
It could be improved with a full color 'FC daily theme', but in that case some designer like @pablogil would have to come in :)
That said, this is just a suggestion, but I thought I needed to clarify it.

BTW: I also really like the @AR795 web page design.

Maurice
I used that for my 0.18 icon:
20180722a.png
20180722a.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 2673 times

I think the color scheme would be good for this icon version, to me the icon suggests a work-in-progress:
regis

Post by regis »

bejant wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:20 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm I noticed that many users, me included, are appreciating the actual FC logo for its simplicity and its direct connection with FC world.
I agree so much on that
"FreeCAD" stands for something and the current logo speaks for it self.
At the same time I considered that it would be useful to distinguish a stable release between a daily build, as in other sw it is done.
Then it came my FC Logo rework; it is not a new design but just a rearrangement on color scheme (never said something different).
But the rework colors are fully harmonized with the FC palette (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork#Colors) and the result is an immediate feedback of what the user is going to use.
It could be improved with a full color 'FC daily theme', but in that case some designer like @pablogil would have to come in :)
That said, this is just a suggestion, but I thought I needed to clarify it.

BTW: I also really like the @AR795 web page design.

Maurice
I used that for my 0.18 icon:
20180722a.png

I think the color scheme would be good for this icon version, to me the icon suggests a work-in-progress:
Overall I like your impression of the logos as I share the same view somewhat.
I think the icons are really good for fixing up most of the icons for the other workbenches that do not have any good looking icons.
Screenshot from 2018-07-23 09-07-32.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-23 09-07-32.png (27.2 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

We can return to logo design challenge 2018 after the new home page will be up and running. To see if anything else is to be done in this regard this year. Home page is a priority for now (in finalizing stage and general agreement achieved (over the past years)). This years logo design challenge event will therefore likely prove to be highly successful just on that account alone. In addition there were some nice logo proposals this year and some (not yet general) agreement was involved. As for the logo itself we got some revolutionary proposals, some just pure design let loose visions. A few caliper based ones again emerged and made participants and the wider audience to approve. There was a logo proposal that didn't change geometry and/or color scheme. And it still took things to the next level. And one challenging the color scheme as for changing that to be OK. That is diverging from red/blue to represent a current/future option and for that to be OK.
octoshock

Post by octoshock »

Hi! I'm from the r/FreeCAD subreddit, and they told me that I should post this here. Hope I'm not too late.

Clean and simple.

Fixed*

Last edited by octoshock on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

octoshock wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 am image
The image cannot be seen. You have to link the image, not the website it is on. To verify that it works you should use the Preview button before submitting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Should this topic be revisited now that the website redesign is done?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

agreed
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AR795

Post by AR795 »

If the community is interested, sure the topic can be revisited.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Just for information, I found a very nice icon set for ubuntu by Papirus Team...
and I noticed they did a nice FreeCAD icon :D
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/papirus ... -icon.html
(the licence is GNU GPL 3.0 and not LGPL)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The numix them also has one:
Screenshot from 2018-11-20 12-15-01.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-20 12-15-01.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
https://github.com/numixproject/numix-c ... reecad.svg