FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Johnny47

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Johnny47 »

Hi guys! First of all: I loved reading through this topic!
Great designs so far, I personally think that from all posted here, this one has the most potential:
octoshock wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 am
However, as I was reading through the topics, my enthusiasm was a bit damped. Apparently, oftentimes new fellows attempt to change the logo..and all the veteran developers here seem to have started to laugh these attempts off as "Annual Logo Design Challenges". Not one really seems to care about changing it. That seems frustrating! My question: Why is that? Bear with me.

leonard shelby already stated the experience I had, when I came across FreeCAD (He did that 5 years ago):
leonard shelby wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:21 pm One of the first things you come across often before even using or developing for FreeCAD will be the logo.

The existing one almost kept me from trying FreeCAD.
Its also true for me, that I did'nt take FreeCAD seriously by this Logo. Only the fantastic (relatively new) website sold FreeCAD to me and I tried it out just yesterday. The uneven shape of the F and the bright colors look a bit like in a comic, to be honest (no offense!).
Others related already 7 years ago:
evilkillerfiggi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm I got sick of seeing the red and blue logo, so I made a new one:
Additionally, most people will say that the current logo does no longer fit to the modern design of the current website. The red stands out from the more muted and blue-ish white colors. The outlining of the logo also seems too playful:

---
I know, the current logo is closely following the artwork guidelines at: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_Guidelines
and some think a new logo candidate also should. But my proposal disagrees here:
The logo should in my opinion be differentiated from the GUI Icons of FreeCAD. Having all the GUI icons according to a common design guide is important and can be helpful in terms of usability and intuitiveness. But the logo should be unique! And after at least seven years. It is clearly time to think of new design. Think of any logo of a good software you use: The logo will not be following the same design guidelines as the GUI icons. Its rather made to stand out, seem modern or establish a brand. That's what the FreeCAD logo should do. What do you think?

My proposal for a logo removes the red and mutes the colors down, but still keeps the key elements of the original. Its just an update. Changing the message or meaning is not intended:

I especially like how a new logo would look in the taskbar, on the .FCStd files and on the upper corner of the applikation:
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Thank you for your contribution! I agree with your observation about turning away potential design contributors. I'm not sure what the solution is but I think it's a problem that's been around for a while.

As for your log, I have to say I like it a lot. Like you said it respects the original intent while doing its own thing. The bottom right screenshot however shows it doesn't quite stand out with the blue window title bar.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Johnny47 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm ...
Its also true for me, that I did'nt take FreeCAD seriously by this Logo.
I think making a decision solely on the logo is extremely superficial. People will chose FreeCAD regardless of the logo because it's a very powerful CAD system, and it's free. That's even truer today than it was 7 years ago, when the program was not nearly as polished as it is today. Today there are many more examples and tutorials showing people what you can achieve with the program.
My proposal for a logo ...
I don't like it. It looks like a splat of paint. Kinda like Nickelodeon or one of those cartoon logos. But that doesn't mean you can't try again and again until you come up with a solution that pleases everybody. I personally would prefer a logo that evokes mechanical design, gears, metal, construction, or something like that.

I also would prefer to start a new thread, because this thread is already pretty old, and many of the discussions started 7 years ago no longer apply. For example, although it's true that the core workbenches of the system follow the Artwork Guidelines, nowadays there are many more contributors, so these guidelines are not strictly enforced when somebody creates a new icon.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Johnny47 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm Great designs so far, I personally think that from all posted here, this one has the most potential:
octoshock wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 am
However, as I was reading through the topics, my enthusiasm was a bit damped. Apparently, oftentimes new fellows attempt to change the logo..and all the veteran developers here seem to have started to laugh these attempts off as "Annual Logo Design Challenges". Not one really seems to care about changing it. That seems frustrating! My question: Why is that? Bear with me.
Thanks for contributing!

The main purpose of a logo is the recognition factor of the brand. Cattle herds are branded all with the same logo. It doesn't change.
If a logo evolves, it should still be immediately recognized. The Ford logo has changed since it came up 100 years ago, but if you see a 100 years old one you would immediately recognize it - even if you couldn't "Ford" on it. In Software it is similar. Thinking about the Firefox or Apple logo: it changed but stayed basically the same.

If the logo transports some additional information - even better, but that's obviously not necessary. Mercedes' logo does, Ford's and Apple's not.

FreeCAD has found its place in the world of free software and it has found its place in the world of CAD software. And it has done so with its logo and the colors used. So I would vote for a very gentle change like in the logo which you have linked. It clearly states its decent, it shows an additional C and it still bears the mechanical basic idea.

Your proposal is for my taste too far away from the current logo and it is a bit too flowery, too organic. And that's something where FreeCAD isn't really good in.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Johnny47

Post by Johnny47 »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:13 pm As for your log, I have to say I like it a lot. Like you said it respects the original intent while doing its own thing. The bottom right screenshot however shows it doesn't quite stand out with the blue window title bar.
Great! Yes I agree, the logo may need some work there.
vocx wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:35 am I don't like it. It looks like a splat of paint. Kinda like Nickelodeon or one of those cartoon logos. But that doesn't mean you can't try again and again until you come up with a solution that pleases everybody. I personally would prefer a logo that evokes mechanical design, gears, metal, construction, or something like that.

I also would prefer to start a new thread, because this thread is already pretty old, and many of the discussions started 7 years ago no longer apply. For example, although it's true that the core workbenches of the system follow the Artwork Guidelines, nowadays there are many more contributors, so these guidelines are not strictly enforced when somebody creates a new icon.
That's relatable. I personally liked it for that characteristic of feeling a bit more organic. Maybe the other solution from
octoshock is suiting better, as it is more formal and clearly displays the two components of the logo.
chrisb wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:04 am FreeCAD has found its place in the world of free software and it has found its place in the world of CAD software. And it has done so with its logo and the colors used. So I would vote for a very gentle change like in the logo which you have linked. It clearly states its decent, it shows an additional C and it still bears the mechanical basic idea.
If you look on Apple, the logo has changed a lot during the last year's:
What was kept was the core meaning and it did not relate to color, as you can see. Maybe it's time for freecad to also leave the colors behind.

But what is most important to me is, that that the logo needs an update. Even if it is keeping the colors and all. So I agree that octoshock's solution may be more suitable for a first update :)
Last edited by Johnny47 on Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Thanks for putting your efforts into this task.
It would be probably impossible to make everyone agree on a new logo I think. Because many people will think that it's just a matter of taste, so they will feel free to express their desires also if they do not understand nothing about graphics and communication. I personally do not understand nothing about that, but I always felt that current logo does not communicate anything professional, and I recognize that the logo was something that contributed to the first impressions I had about FreeCAD when I tried it several years ago and I decided to drop it.
Times are changing, and I'd really love to see a really different version of the logo. So go ahead please and complete this hard task! my best wishes :)
Johnny47 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:52 am octoshock
By the way, what is an octoshock?

Edit: would be great I think to have a new logo for the 0.19 release, isn't it?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

octoshock wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 am Clean and simple.
It's the user who made the proposal mentioned in the previous posts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 am It's the user who made the proposal mentioned in the previous posts.
Thx! I missed it :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

How about something completely new:
Attachments
MyFreeCADLogo.png
MyFreeCADLogo.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
MyFreeCADLogo.svg
(4.78 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

One of my favorite logos of all time regarding engineering is that of the Tampere University of Technology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampere_U ... y_logo.png

I think FreeCAD has it all already in the logo and that perhaps only the coloring and outlining (i.e. styling) of the logo needs to be modernized, similar to the efforts expanded developing the Coil IconTheme.