FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by triplus »

user1234 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm Every year someone wants to make a new logo.
It has become an annual event indeed.
I think the main developer should clearly say "yes" or "no" if a new logo is nessesary (or wanted).
I don't feel saying "yes" or "no" would change much. What i can say is the logo did change in one of the past logo design challenge events. Regardless of the strong opposition from some. And the world didn't stop. Therefore evolution or revolution is always possible in this area too. Extremely hard to achieve. But possible. And just look on how much end users does get involved. Appreciating some good FreeCAD design effort.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

There are a lot of nice designs, but so far nobody has been able to really determine which design elements in the current FreeCAD icon are deficient and why each is deficient. Without first defining what should be improved in the current icon, how can any proposed icon be objectively considered as being better? Although the vernier caliper logos look nice I'm not quite sold on them - somehow it reminds me of the manual (board) drafting days, and can't help but think that a digital caliper would be more appropriate for a CAD program.

The one criticism of the existing icon I read that makes sense to me is that the gear appears to be trapped by the "F" and that contradicts a meaning "Free".

Another thought is that logos have generally evolved from starting as being somewhat more complicated or embellished designs to into becoming designs that still recognizably convey a brand while using fewer elements or simpler designs. The FreeCAD logo is already pretty simple and it is already instantly recognizable - I've seen a lot of new icon proposals but not many explanations of why any is "better".

For Reference:
The FreeCAD icon in 2013:

As changed in 0.16:

The current FreeCAD icon (revised per FreeCAD / Tango guidelines):

From 0.16 to 0.17 the icon became more complex, and that was done by agryson to help visibility by creating contrast on both light and dark themes. Blue and red are used in the 3 icons above and are also predominant colors in the FreeCAD GUI (and in the splash screens).

I did like that when I had both FreeCAD 0.16 and 0.17 installed, the icons for each version were different in the launcher (now with 0.17 and 0.18 they're both the same).

Just my 2 cents...

blue = edit
Last edited by bejant on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I feel that logo designer should have the freedom to propose his or her vision and to express point of view through it. As different point of view is what can lead to progress being made. Usually through discussion and feedback phase after somebody makes the proposal. Therefore as for some common agreement that gathers through logo design challenges. That is a good thing.

Different color scheme for version differentiation purposes indeed is one of the nice outcomes of logo design challenges. In the future current development release could i guess have its own color scheme. Similar on how Firefox nightly builds do that.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'm all for people proposing new logos, why not... But I always come back to the same point: It must ALSO look good at 16px ;)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

there was an old contest where @pablogil got this nice ones
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p166403

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p166696

I liked a lot the concept ...
AR795

Post by AR795 »

It was never my intention to start a logo contest or compete with someone else's designs when I started this thread. Admittedly I was unaware about previous threads regarding FreeCAD logo designs since it was my first time using this forum. Now that I have poked around, I have found plenty of threads dealing with this topic. Ever since I came across FreeCAD a few weeks ago, a few ideas popped into my mind about how I would imagine the FreeCAD logo to look like. The purpose of this thread was just to get some feedback on my ideas. I am surprised how incorporating the different suggestions from the community radically changed the design I had in mind and by doing so I, as a student, learned a lot.
bejant wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 am Although the vernier caliper logos look nice I'm not quite sold them - somehow it reminds me of the manual (board) drafting days, and can't help but think that a digital caliper would be more appropriate for a CAD program.

The one criticism I read that makes sense to me is that the gear appears to be trapped by the "F" and that contradicts a meaning "Free".
Here are few other designs I have been messing around with.
Attachments
freecad_logo_7_3_256.png
freecad_logo_7_3_256.png (22.58 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
freecad_logo_7_3_128.png
freecad_logo_7_3_128.png (10.94 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
freecad_logo_7_3_64.png
freecad_logo_7_3_64.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
freecad_logo_7_3_32.png
freecad_logo_7_3_32.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
freecad_logo_7_3_16.png
freecad_logo_7_3_16.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

AR795 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm
bejant wrote: The one criticism of the existing icon I read that makes sense to me is that the gear appears to be trapped by the "F" and that contradicts a meaning "Free".
Here are few other designs I have been messing around with.
My apologies - I was referring to was criticism of the existing FreeCAD logo (I edited my previous post). I like your designs, but I don't think we're there yet...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm It was never my intention to start a logo contest or compete with someone else's designs when I started this thread. Admittedly I was unaware about previous threads regarding FreeCAD logo designs since it was my first time using this forum. Now that I have poked around, I have found plenty of threads dealing with this topic. Ever since I came across FreeCAD a few weeks ago, a few ideas popped into my mind about how I would imagine the FreeCAD logo to look like. The purpose of this thread was just to get some feedback on my ideas. I am surprised how incorporating the different suggestions from the community radically changed the design I had in mind and by doing so I, as a student, learned a lot.
Totally normal and understandable. There was some opposition and some still basically argue such challenges are not useful. But as you can see majority recognized in the past on how we need to let the community express itself in such ways too. And just enjoy some quality made design regardless of the outcome. You were the first one in 2018 and therefore you have officially started this years logo design challenge event. You could i guess change the title for the next years challenge not to go into this thread anymore. As i assume hopefully designers will come next year too. ;)

I was wondering do you have any FreeCAD oriented logo designs in your head that would not involve things like gears and calipers? As FreeCAD is more than mechanical engineering CAD application. Therefore would be nice to see some design proposals like that too. If not and this is how you see it that is OK too.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

triplus wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 am Different color scheme for version differentiation purposes indeed is one of the nice outcomes of logo design challenges. In the future current development release could i guess have its own color scheme. Similar on how Firefox nightly builds do that.
+1
I already have different color schemes for FC icons on my portable release of FC015, FC016, FC017, FC018, FC-Py3Qt5 and FC-A3 :D
It would be nice to have stable and dev with a difference color scheme, at least for the icon.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm
I was wondering do you have any FreeCAD oriented logo designs in your head that would not involve things like gears and calipers? As FreeCAD is more than mechanical engineering CAD application. Therefore would be nice to see some design proposals like that too. If not and this is how you see it that is OK too.
I had done a few other designs as well but I wasn't sure if they related well to FreeCAD so I didn't post them before. Here are some of them, I will post some more later.
Attachments
freecad_logo_7_4_256.png
freecad_logo_7_4_256.png (135.8 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
freecad_logo_7_4_128.png
freecad_logo_7_4_128.png (47.79 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
freecad_logo_7_4_64.png
freecad_logo_7_4_64.png (18.07 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
freecad_logo_7_4_32.png
freecad_logo_7_4_32.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
freecad_logo_7_4_16.png
freecad_logo_7_4_16.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 1695 times