FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Jee-Bee »

bejant wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 pm Tell me, what do the triangles symbolize?
see: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p239696
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

The interpretation that triangles represent component parts of FreeCAD is a HUGE stretch. :roll:

I bet not one person in a hundred would come to that understanding on his or her own.

Gene
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I don't agree with you on the component part... but even if it is so ... most time it doesn't matter. if we look that way never change anything.
The only argue on the fact that it is not clear the difference we do it our self. Even the about freeCAD don't say anything about a development version. The title bar the same situation.
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am
triplus wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:15 pm I can see the improvements. Overall quality is becoming great. The one with the shadow i guess works the best. One consideration (that might or might not play a role) is the current logo(s) don't use the shadow.

P.S. As far as i am concerned if we would use your proposal for development builds or/and FreeCAD 0.18 builds. That would work for me. It adds more visual appeal and the version differentiation factor (both properties frequently requested) but doesn't change things (geometry). Hopefully others will recognize the importance and value of your work and give you some credit and recognition. And we can take it from there.
No problem. Thanks.
regis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 am
bejant wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 am
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
I like the idea of using different colors for the Dev / Daily versions, especially these particular color choices! Turquoise relates to View and yellow tones relate to creating new things, so I see the logo as a statement that we are looking at something new:
20180615d.png

So +1 from me.
I'm also sold on this for the Freecad-Daily
Turquoise and yellow colors also provide good contrast, easier to distinguish from the background.
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am
I like this a lot as well, however I do have one suggestion. The scale of the triangles for the 'F' is good as they are aligned now, but for the gear, they triangle pattern is not symmetric to the gear. Would it be possible to shift/scale the pattern as needed for that to be aligned?
I was thinking about this myself. The pattern I used contains right angled regular triangles and it works well with straight edges, using it for circular shapes is more trickier. Moreover the gear in the logo is slightly rotated and I didn't want to rotate the pattern as it would not match with the pattern lines with the letter 'F'. So to solve this problem, I have removed the rotation from the gear and tried to align the pattern with it more closely.

Hmmm 🙄 I don't want to upset or frustrate anyone here as I welcome any new development and encourage everyone's dedicated support for improvement.
However I would like to express my own opinion and appreciation. Currently (apologies if no one likes it) but I wld be less inclined to follow in the direction that the current logo design is taking. It's getting more complex and for no apparent reason. I myself wanted at several times to improve on the logo. But after careful consideration I thought, Hey what a bloody hell good job the original designer did to think out the current version of the logo. "FreeCAD" stands for something and the current logo speaks for it self. It is already being recognised as such and I think it is best to keep it simple as most open source logos. Few iterations on coloring can be made but it's current form function is hard to beat. Cleaner versions can be attempted but right now it is seems rather perfect.
But hey don't take my word for it. It is open source and everything can always be made better. So perhaps if there a new idea that spring up from all this chat and we all find it sleek and cool well why not.
The triangles and all the jazz already makes a logo that has a bunch of edges more crazy. Although the current form isn't perfect it is seriously hard to beat. So I would argue for the sake of consistency and continuity.
What do you guys think?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

I'd like to just show a little test in Ubuntu 16.04 of my try:
Screenshot Ubi 16.04 - FreeCAD.png
Screenshot Ubi 16.04 - FreeCAD.png (86.62 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
regis

Post by regis »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm I'd like to just show a little test in Ubuntu 16.04 of my try:

Screenshot Ubi 16.04 - FreeCAD.png
This looks more legit
I really like the freecad normal and the freecad daily.
Maybe could be switched. But that's a matter for all to decide.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm The interpretation that triangles represent component parts of FreeCAD is a HUGE stretch. :roll:

I bet not one person in a hundred would come to that understanding on his or her own.

Gene
There are no hard rules for interpreting something. Different people can interpret things differently depending on how they look at it, even if the intended meaning was something else. It was mentioned previously that the mesh like structure can suggest that FreeCAD is a mesh-based software and that's a perfectly fine interpretation. While I was experimenting with patterns and placing them together, it occurred to me that it's also possible to interpret it as putting pieces together and so I suggested my opinion. I guess I gave the impression that I was trying to impose my interpretation on others. This was not my intention.
Last edited by AR795 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm
GeneFC wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm The interpretation that triangles represent component parts of FreeCAD is a HUGE stretch. :roll:

Gene
There are no hard rules for interpreting something. Different people can interpret things differently depending on how they look at it, even if the intended meaning was something else. It was mentioned previously that the mesh like structure can suggest that FreeCAD is a mesh-based software and that's a perfectly fine interpretation. While I was experimenting with patterns and placing them together, it occurred to me that it's also possible to interpret it as putting pieces together and so I suggested my opinion. I guess I gave the impression that I was trying to impose by interpretation on others. This was not my intention.
I didn't get that impression that you are imposing ur interpretation.
Only felt like it wasn't so much consistent. But I really like the fact that someone was bold enough to engage this logo conversation because I wrestled with it before.
However I'm sure a constant dialogue can yield a breakthrough which is why I'm not against this conversation at the very least.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

regis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:08 pm I wld be less inclined to follow in the direction that the current logo design is taking. It's getting more complex and for no apparent reason. I myself wanted at several times to improve on the logo. But after careful consideration I thought, Hey what a bloody hell good job the original designer did to think out the current version of the logo. "FreeCAD" stands for something and the current logo speaks for it self. It is already being recognised as such and I think it is best to keep it simple as most open source logos. Few iterations on coloring can be made but it's current form function is hard to beat.
That also sums up my opinion pretty well too, especially after looking at them together:
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm Image
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Revisiting an older design, this time with flatter colors.
Attachments
freecad_logo_9_1.png
freecad_logo_9_1.png (123.38 KiB) Viewed 1399 times