FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by pablogil »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am It reminded me this.
pablogil wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am freecad_v05_evolution.png

Cheers
It's still my favorite one
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Mine too
andyk

Post by andyk »

Yeah I think it's great, just less legible. The "F" is such a dominant aspect of the old logo (even if it's a very ugly F).
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

andyk wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:10 pm Yeah I think it's great, just less legible. The "F" is such a dominant aspect of the old logo (even if it's a very ugly F).
Yes, less legible it is but... must it be hyper legible? it's a logo! it's more important you destile the essence, to introduce on it as many fine aspects as you can while keeping the roots. I have really design a lot of logos, both personal and professional, and there are no written laws about it.
Very important is though: to justify it, I mean, not only draw something beautiful but connect everything (shape, equilibrium, "roots", math perfection, ...) and give it a whole meaning.

... and in this particular logo, I still can't find an alternative that better mix all those aspects than that one.
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

wevon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:20 am As desktop icons tend to have square proportions, I have made an adaptation of the previous logo.
Hey this one is very nice and it says CAD :D. Well done!
Attachments
FreecCAD Logo by wevon.gif
FreecCAD Logo by wevon.gif (566.87 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
wevon

Post by wevon »

jimmihenry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 pm
wevon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:20 am As desktop icons tend to have square proportions, I have made an adaptation of the previous logo.
Hey this one is very nice and it says CAD :D. Well done!
WOW! I was not expecting it :D
Now there is no doubt that it is CAD, I am very happy to see it in 3D.
Honestly, I do not follow the forum much because I am more involved with Blender but it seems to me a great program and I wish it the best, thanks Jimmihenry for solidifying it.
wevon

Post by wevon »

And playing a little more with the same concept of the dove + CAD.
Attachments
Render_4.png
Render_4.png (78.64 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (62.5 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

I see appreciation missing for this beautiful logo with minimal changes to the F-gear motif https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p548931.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
C4e

Post by C4e »

jnxd wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 pm I see appreciation missing for this beautiful logo with minimal changes to the F-gear motif https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p548931.
I like it a lot. It is a beautiful further development of the current and well known FreeCAD logo.
mino

Post by mino »

Misacsnk wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm My idea is to keep the originality, adding curves and applying modern effects.
How about a new theme with a modern look
First post here, but hopefully useful.

TLDR:
IMO the proposal by Misacsnk is excellent with one exception. I would advise to play less with the colors. Stick to just two base colors and use softer/stronger tones of them where required. Ideally the same colors the current logo uses.

This avoids the "washed blob" effect when looked at from distance/blurred and makes the icon easy to recognize with an unfocused/untrained eye => time saved when looking for the Freecad icon/window in the window manager of choice. I.e. usability first, beauty second.

---------------------
Firstly, a "new" logo should stick to some general logotype as much as possible, in this case I believe sticking to the red+blue F+gear is highly desirable. It works visually, is recognized by users and, most importantly, is reasonably unique among the other software icons out there.

Secondly. The "icon" logo should be easily recognizable - minimum of colors helps here - easy to see/identify from distance/when blurred/looking at a glance so the user can identify the icon/window fast.

Here the best way to "test" how a logo works:
- apply a major blur on it and compare to old logo
- apply a grayscale on it and compare to old logo (for color blind folks)

The way human eye works is we first see/glance a blurred image and - when recognizable - we act on it *before* the eye gets to focus. If a logo has good usability, we will never focus on it truly, as there is no need for that. A bad (usability) logo, on the other hand, requires focus to be recognized. This is bad as it wastes user time/effort.

The About page etc. one can be very creative. But, please, please, DO NOT CHANGE THE general ICON VISUAL (when blurred). Users, who will not post on this forum, hate this with a passion when after an update they cannot find their software anymore by the icon visual. Changes of the visual remove recognizability so there needs to be a very good reason for them that overrrides that aspect. "Looking more modern" is not enough here as a visual can be aliased or adjusted "internally" as Misacsnk has shown, without loosing its far-away identifiability.
Last edited by mino on Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.