FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by adrianinsaval »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm Why we should keep gear?
Because it's the stablished and recognized icon. I think the icon should be updated but not changed drastically.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I tried something.

FreeCAD Logo2.png
FreeCAD Logo2.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
FreeCAD Logo.png
FreeCAD Logo.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
baswein

Post by baswein »

I had some fun getting to know the new Inkscape 1.0 and thought for fun I would put it them there.
It's quite possible that this idea has been done before and I haven't seen it but riffing on kkremitzki's comment about the carpenter square and HakanSeven12's more modern logo I made a square and gear idea. I personally like the upper right one. It is still in it's awkward stage and definitely needs more help displaying on dark backgrounds. :oops: I read through the very nice style guidelines but chose to ignore them. Sorry. I I'm just having some fun here and throwing out ideas. HakanSeven12 your civil engineering work benches are what got me into FreeCAD (Thank you for your amazing work!) and as a result am keenly aware that FreeCAD is not just about machining however I think the gear can represent the parametric core of FreeCAD. A tool to do anything. I do think the one I created could be adapted to have more of the sectioned gradients that you have been playing with.
Square_and_gear_FreeCAD_Logo_10dpi.png
Square_and_gear_FreeCAD_Logo_10dpi.png (33.25 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
I also played around with a version of the 3D logo concept I previously posted. I don't like it but it is essentially a 3d version of the current logo so maybe has some merit there.
3D_FreeCAD_logo.png
3D_FreeCAD_logo.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Attachments
FreeCAD_logo_SquareGear_3d_experiments.svg
(102.08 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

I like the idea of using the coordinate system cross to form the F. The coordinate system is what every CAD user has in common regardless of discipline so the axis cross is the symbol of what unites us all. It's also kinda fun because the cross orientation implies that you are upside down.
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo.png
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo.png (9.34 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

Also here are 2 other concepts I came up with while brainstorming. Reading through this thread really sparked my imagination
FreeCAD_Other_Gear_Logos.png
FreeCAD_Other_Gear_Logos.png (11.42 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Attachments
FreeCAD_Other_Gear_Logos.svg
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo.svg
(15.04 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If we have gears, I would like to see them interacting, something like this (horrible from the artwork view):
Attachments
InteractingGear_Logo.png
InteractingGear_Logo.png (15.33 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Gregory son of Carl wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 am I like the idea of using the coordinate system cross to form the F.
This look kinda sexual... :lol:
Also here are 2 other concepts I came up with while brainstorming. Reading through this thread really sparked my imagination
These are nice instead! I really like the magic wand/daisy (I learned the word automagically here in the forum) and the way the f is seamlessly integrated into the only logo gear shape in the second one.

I'd really prefer the logo being "imaginative" rather than accurately mechanical...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

carlopav wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 pm This look kinda sexual... :lol:
:lol:
Sex sells, but that wasn't my intention.
Gary Larson, the author of the "Far Side" cartoons, was once extremely worried, because he realized that one of the cartoons in a just printed book (perhaps it was even the cover) could be interpreted as being sexual. Alarmed he phoned his editor who answered what could be appropriate here as well: "So what?"
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

baswein wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:47 pm I also played around with a version of the 3D logo concept I previously posted.
I like these propositions. Maybe a bit darker and thicker outline would be better so that the figure really stands out.
baswein_logo.png
baswein_logo.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
baswein_logo3D_FreeCAD_logo.png
baswein_logo3D_FreeCAD_logo.png (6.3 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
It keeps the basic shape that we know, but it also looks a bit more modern and fresh.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Gregory son of Carl wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 am Also here are 2 other concepts I came up with while brainstorming.
I like the one on the left.
Gregory_logo.png
Gregory_logo.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
I ditches the explicit "F", but keeps the general shapes, colors, and gear. It looks nice.

I don't like the ones based on the coordinate axes; they lack "meat" in the middle. They look a bit empty, like a figure made of sticks.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

vocx wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 pm they lack "meat"
Here's some with extra beef
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo2.png
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo2.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 2618 times

carlopav wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 pm This look kinda
This one is for you. Enjoy.
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo3.png
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo3.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 2618 times

vocx wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:51 pm It keeps the basic shape that we know, but it also looks a bit more modern and fresh.
Seconding this. This 3D design really nails the statement "The FreeCAD you know and love but now better than ever". Nice work @baswein

chrisb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 am If we have gears, I would like to see them interacting, something like this (horrible from the artwork view):
I tried that too, but it never felt quite right.
FreeCAD_Gears_Logos2.png
FreeCAD_Gears_Logos2.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Attachments
FreeCAD_Gear_Logos2.svg
(6.93 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
FreeCAD_Coordinate_System_Logo2.svg
(23.06 KiB) Downloaded 57 times