FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Joel_graff »

It seems I'm generally unaware about how often logo discussions happen... :)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=11562
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Andddd another one. Personally I like the caliper logo as well.
Attachments
freecad_logo_4.png
freecad_logo_4.png (863.26 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the caliper F too. While the existing logo is well known and hopefully has some recognition effect you may try a combination of the current and the caliper and the nice 3D effect.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm I like the caliper F too. While the existing logo is well known and hopefully has some recognition effect you may try a combination of the current and the caliper and the nice 3D effect.
Combined the two logos.
Attachments
freecad_logo_5.png
freecad_logo_5.png (546.16 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
RickDeckard

Post by RickDeckard »

+1
I really like the caliper logo. Personally I would prefer a silightly more abstract version of it.
IMHO many OpenSource projects struggle to establish a nice and professional looking "corporate design" and a consistent UX for there software/website. They keep their initial "programmers art" stuff until forever and reject everything else, even if someone offered them a set of very nice redesign ideas. I hope FreeCAD is not one of those projects :lol:
My suggestion: Why not do a little competition? Everybody who thinks that he can make nice new FreeCAD logo should do that. Make a poll (phpBB supports this) with a deadline. The logo that has the most community votes will be the new FreeCAD logo. Simple and democratic!
Last edited by RickDeckard on Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It might be less correct but perhaps more pleasing to the eye when the thin lower end of the caliper is omitted and the broad end is prolonged down further; makes it more look like an "F". If it should be more accurate you could color the thin lower end in red.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Something else to consider is that having that many measurement markers on the caliper may not look as great at a small (icon) scale.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

I like the caliper as representation of "F". Maybe the two caliper's fingers can represent the "C" of CAD. And I think the gear is a valuable icon to keep in the logo too.

However, what I am missing is not a logo. It is a "mascot" as image of FreeCAD project.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
AR795

Post by AR795 »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:39 pm It might be less correct but perhaps more pleasing to the eye when the thin lower end of the caliper is omitted and the broad end is prolonged down further; makes it more look like an "F". If it should be more accurate you could color the thin lower end in red.
Frankly, I didn't like the lower end of the caliper either. It made the logo look a bit unbalanced, the letter F was too tall and the gear was small. So I have removed it.
kkremitzki wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm Something else to consider is that having that many measurement markers on the caliper may not look as great at a small (icon) scale.
Yes, this is a concern. I thought of removing the measurements altogether but the caliper looked less detailed to me that way. So I have increased the spacing in the measurements a little.
Attachments
freecad_logo_6_1.png
freecad_logo_6_1.png (416.17 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Why don't you try using the gear as ring rather than the circle in your logo?
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project