FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by easyw-fc »

may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
fc-daily-comparison.png
fc-daily-comparison.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Freecad.svg
(9.57 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Freecad-daily.svg
(11.2 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
ffox-dev.jpg
ffox-dev.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
Yes this makes ALOT of sense. Perhaps taking a step further and changing the default canvas background (the way gimp devel does it) to remind people that they are using a dev version and know what revision number their using
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm may be a different lighter color for freecad-daily icon, compared to FC stable, as a similitude with Firefox developing release
I like the idea of using different colors for the Dev / Daily versions, especially these particular color choices! Turquoise relates to View and yellow tones relate to creating new things, so I see the logo as a statement that we are looking at something new:
20180615d.png
20180615d.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
So +1 from me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the color scheme as well, but I would like to see am more faint, i.e. with less saturation. That makes it immediately clear, that it is not ready yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 am I like the color scheme as well, but I would like to see am more faint, i.e. with less saturation. That makes it immediately clear, that it is not ready yet.
here a new release that should have colors fully harmonized with the FC palette
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork#Colors

fc-daily-comparison-v2.jpg
fc-daily-comparison-v2.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Freecad-daily-v3.svg
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
iamd

Post by iamd »

I will give my objective and detach opinion about it. I think it will be interesting maybe to think of another name. the name+CAD doesn't reflect the power that the software gives to the users. Seriously devs what you do with Freecad is terrific. I ask a lot of professional graphic designer about the name and the response was the same. It doesn't stand enough and it is too technical and not appealing.

The thing before starting rebranding the logo would be to ask the creators what do they want the logo to reflect. What is the mission and purpose of FreeCAD? Not what the software does because we all know what it is but how would you simply describe it to a non-tech person what it is about.

This, in my opinion, will valuable et clearly define the approach if the logo as to be redesign.
Keep going.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We had something similar in another far more emotional discussion (so please excuse me if I get emotional too): The idea that different notions or names attract more users or make FreeCAD easier to learn.

I think that is definitely not the case.

People developing free software are honest people. They don't need to promise things they cannot hold because no one would reward this. No increased revenue, no bonus at the end of the year, no sweaty handshake from the boss. The software is what it is. Promising things the software cannot meet boomearang back immediately. A name like "Here_you_get_a_lifelong_pension. And free Beer." would not help.

To get started a catchy name might be helpful, but honestly: is "Sketchup" a sexy name, where everybody flies for it? I think not and yet the company behind it sure did a lot of thinking about the name.

I am a friend of every change that makes things clearer, but attracting more users is no purpose in itself. FreeCAD has become a wellknown free CAD package which is recognized and reviewed by major journals.

Thats the way to go, where everyone can find his place: Make FreeCAD as good as possible. Make the docs as good as possible. Make the tutorials as good as possible. And spread the word.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 am Yes, the pattern can be applied.
Nice. Could you do one with less detail as seen here:

And attach the SVG in 64x64 size.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

yorik wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm The problem of this logo, IMHO, is that it suggests it's mesh geometry (triangles). But one of the main characteristics of FreeCAD, is that it's brep-based, and not mesh-based (although meshes are also supported and handled)
Yes, that's true. Since the pattern based design was requested for the development version of FreeCAD, it could be used to represent the underlying framework or the "pieces" that connect the software together and the fact that each "piece" is of a different shade could also suggest that the "pieces" are yet to be placed in the right order, hinting at a development version of FreeCAD. I am sure it can be explained with better words, but hopefully you get the idea.
triplus wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 am
AR795 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 am Yes, the pattern can be applied.
Nice. Could you do one with less detail as seen here:

And attach the SVG in 64x64 size.
Been busy lately, I will modify the design probably during the weekend.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If you look at the Firefox development build icon. There is a mesh alike structure in it. And for the past few years a mesh alike pattern was popular and common in open source design. Saying we shouldn't use it as it could indicate FreeCAD isn't a "brep-based" solution is therefore in my opinion stretching it a bit too far.
AR795 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 am Been busy lately, I will modify the design probably during the weekend.
Take your time.