FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby easyw-fc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm

triplus wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:15 pm
Therefore what is your point. You are being offended. I am not hones? Both?

Lets get this over and proceed.
You started this offending people.
Now you are bothered by the reaction... :roll:
AR795
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby AR795 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:29 pm

The proposal was quite nice, has it not been worked on since then?
Let me see what I can do. I don't know html or css, but I will poke around the code to see if I can make sense of it.
triplus
Posts: 8748
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby triplus » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm

AR795 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:29 pm
The proposal was quite nice, has it not been worked on since then?
It was a nice proposal. If i remember correctly heavily based on the GIMP website. We likely would need a bit more originality in that department. But all in all general agreement this is the way to go was meet. Nobody worked on it anymore after. Here is our current homepage repository.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage
Let me see what I can do. I don't know html or css, but I will poke around the code to see if I can make sense of it.
You convinced me with your logo proposal. Therefore it would be nice to see what you can do. But note that others tried and didn't get far in the past. Therefore if it won't pan out that is OK too. You came and did a proper job in my opinion in this years logo design challenge. @easyw-fc progressed things further by challenging the color scheme and that worked out too. All in all fruitful logo design challenge. Likely that doesn't seem like much to somebody not being involved with FreeCAD community in this area. But this is just where we are ATM. And yes it has been much worse a couple of years back. ;)

Maybe you should get some encouragement from others first. If anybody else recognized the good job you did with your logo proposal. As i guess it wouldn't be right for you to give it a try and maybe to end up doing a good job. Only for things to deteriorate again to some hard to understand outcome.
easyw-fc wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm
You started this offending people.
OK i offended you. I personally don't have any beef with you and therefore don't see on why i would want to do that intentionally. But OK therefore i did it. I offended you and i can apologize for that to you.
Now you are bothered by the reaction... :roll:
Nah. If anything i am just a bit bothered by the fact i offended somebody not knowing why i would want to do that. And in general i don't plan to offend somebody up front. Some do get offended by my opinion at times. But for that i don't feel it would be honest if i would apologize. ;) That is unless i would be confronted and to realize my opinion was wrong. I don't have problems with that if it is a honest attempt. Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes.
AR795
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby AR795 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Alright so I am going to give website design a try, its my first time so bear with me folks. I have created a mock-up design in Inkscape to experiment with the layout. I have used a stock image from the internet for the cover photo as a placeholder but this must be replaced with a FreeCAD project design of some sort (a rendered image would look great), and a few screenshots from the FreeCAD website of a couple of projects by users. Let me know if anything needs tweaking or replacing.
Attachments
freecad_home_page_design_1.jpg
freecad_home_page_design_1.jpg (693.58 KiB) Viewed 548 times
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5770
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby Kunda1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:55 am

I like it. Great direction.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
triplus
Posts: 8748
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby triplus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

Hi @AR795

If you were able to come up with that in a couple of hours. And from the logo proposals you did i have seen you are capable to think about the needed design related refinements, details and to acknowledge feedback. And are prepared to do the hard work. This all sound good to me.

What i feel is missing is some additional encouragement from others. As i have seen too many times on how somebody does a good design job only to be undermined at the end by some. For whatever reasons involved. Therefore if you are prepared to work on this further and if you get some further encouragement from others. I personally would like to see the final result. But to be honest i would feel bad if you would do a good job and for things to go sourer at the end again.
User avatar
regis
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby regis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 am

I also like this direction very much. This can be a great place for design. And with the right combination of creativity can make a powerful unique freecad cad oriented website. This can enhance freecad attractiveness a great deal. So I'm full on support to see this project mature.
User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby easyw-fc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Just a small clarification on my logo color scheme rework.
I noticed that many users, me included, are appreciating the actual FC logo for its simplicity and its direct connection with FC world.
I agree so much on that
"FreeCAD" stands for something and the current logo speaks for it self.
At the same time I considered that it would be useful to distinguish a stable release between a daily build, as in other sw it is done.
Then it came my FC Logo rework; it is not a new design but just a rearrangement on color scheme (never said something different).
But the rework colors are fully harmonized with the FC palette (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork#Colors) and the result is an immediate feedback of what the user is going to use.
It could be improved with a full color 'FC daily theme', but in that case some designer like @pablogil would have to come in :)
That said, this is just a suggestion, but I thought I needed to clarify it.
fc-logo-comparison.png
fc-logo-comparison.png (61.65 KiB) Viewed 455 times

BTW: I also really like the @AR795 web page design.

Maurice
AR795
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby AR795 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

@Kunda1, @triplus, @regis, @easyw-fc
Thank you all.

There are a few things that I would like to point out in the design.
1.) The cover photo is just a stock image I found on the internet, and I don't know what its license of use is. So it would be better if it is replaced with an actual FreeCAD project and a rendered image of the project would do great.
2.) The screenshots I used are probably taken on different platforms or different desktop environments by users, and I think to be more consistent screenshots should be taken on the same platform. I don't know if somebody has visited the IntelliJ Idea website (https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/), but just take a look at the screenshots they provide on their site. They all are taken on a single platform even though IntelliJ Idea is a cross-platform IDE. And if I be honest the screenshots taken on macOS really look great, I have not been able to reproduce the same level of aesthetics on windows.
3.) The design contains only three sections, and I think it's kind of limiting. I actually ran out of words, and was unsure what more to add so I am open to suggestions.
User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby easyw-fc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 pm

AR795 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm
1.) The cover photo is just a stock image I found on the internet, and I don't know what its license of use is. So it would be better if it is replaced with an actual FreeCAD project and a rendered image of the project would do great.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29354
Image
you may get in contact with @ppemawm to get more screenshots
ppemawm wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 pm
ping...