FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by yorik »

I liked a lot your mockup @AR795, right on spot! Please carry on!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 pm
Thanks for the link. Is there a thread where users post their project renderings? I can only find threads with screenshots of the projects in FreeCAD.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=24
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm @Kunda1, @triplus, @regis, @easyw-fc
Thank you all.

There are a few things that I would like to point out in the design.
1.) The cover photo is just a stock image I found on the internet, and I don't know what its license of use is. So it would be better if it is replaced with an actual FreeCAD project and a rendered image of the project would do great.
2.) The screenshots I used are probably taken on different platforms or different desktop environments by users, and I think to be more consistent screenshots should be taken on the same platform. I don't know if somebody has visited the IntelliJ Idea website (https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/), but just take a look at the screenshots they provide on their site. They all are taken on a single platform even though IntelliJ Idea is a cross-platform IDE. And if I be honest the screenshots taken on macOS really look great, I have not been able to reproduce the same level of aesthetics on windows.
3.) The design contains only three sections, and I think it's kind of limiting. I actually ran out of words, and was unsure what more to add so I am open to suggestions.
Well how do you think about a collaboration?

I can create a few fancy words and ideas once in a while,
put them is small bundles depending on how the inspiration catches me, and maybe they can be good
material and content for the website wordings once in a while.

Perhaps a good way to start also, can you describe how you were thinking on for the website design?
What is the overall general idea you were going for? the things you wanted to include and how? and why?

We can create a list of stuffs to include, that can perhaps be sorted and narrowed down towards the end.

What do you guys say?
AR795

Post by AR795 »

regis wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:50 am
Well how do you think about a collaboration?

I can create a few fancy words and ideas once in a while,
put them is small bundles depending on how the inspiration catches me, and maybe they can be good
material and content for the website wordings once in a while.

Perhaps a good way to start also, can you describe how you were thinking on for the website design?
What is the overall general idea you were going for? the things you wanted to include and how? and why?

We can create a list of stuffs to include, that can perhaps be sorted and narrowed down towards the end.

What do you guys say?
Sure. The idea was to have different sections with each section talking about one strong point of FreeCAD, preferably in a few simple sentences with a matching title. But before doing that, its important to define what are the strong points of FreeCAD? There are many experienced users of FreeCAD in this forum, so hopefully we can create a list of the most important features and narrow them down to something like 5-7 sections in total, but this is no hard rule and depending how things work out, it can be changed as well. @triplus mentioned a previous work (http://wood-galaxy.github.io/Homepage/) so its possible to borrow ideas from here as well.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

yorik wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 pm I liked a lot your mockup @AR795, right on spot! Please carry on!
Thank you.
regis

Post by regis »

Are these kinds of Wikipedia pages editable in a way that we can tweak to add some of free-cad designed style template for the wiki sections?
I think having the Wikipedia pages is a good thing but i'm also wondering if there are other useful alternatives that can be explored while we embark or this potential website redesign.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Feature_list
regis

Post by regis »

Created a new discussion for the FreeCad Website Design
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29615
eMPee584

Post by eMPee584 »

AR795 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm
Ok I really liked the caliper & gear idea & had a quick go at it.. sorry for blatantly taking your rendered bitmap as source :lol:
freecad_logo_AR795_spin.png
freecad_logo_AR795_spin.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Attachments
freecad_logo_AR795_spin.pdf
(24.12 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
freecad_logo_AR795_spin.svg
(99.51 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
regis

Post by regis »

eMPee584 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm
AR795 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm
Ok I really liked the caliper & gear idea & had a quick go at it.. sorry for blatantly taking your rendered bitmap as source :lol:

freecad_logo_AR795_spin.png
Haha, you are dam good with these freecad Icon themes, Not bad, I picked this one out and altered it a bit, shrunk the C-gear but I think it should still have less teeths.
But it's not a bad direction.
Screenshot from 2018-07-11 21-46-55.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-11 21-46-55.png (19.99 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
AR795

Post by AR795 »

eMPee584 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm
No problem, feel free to modify and redesign the icons. I have attached the svg file of the design.
Attachments
freecad_logo_7_1.svg
(18.15 KiB) Downloaded 163 times